ERASMUS and Study Abroad Modules
ELTC Credit-bearing Modules
The ELTC offers English Language credit-bearing modules to ERASMUS and Study Abroad students in both semesters one and two.
The modules are split into 3 areas of English language study;
- English as a Foreign Language (EFL)
- English Language and Culture (ELC)
- English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
ALL THE MODULES HAVE 'LANGUAGE' AS THEIR MAIN AIM AND ARE NOT SUBJECT SPECIALIST.
MOST WILL INCLUDE THE PRACTICE AND ASSESSMENT OF LANGUAGE SKILL DEVELOPMENT AS THEIR MAIN FOCUS.
1) English as a Foreign Language
These 20-credit general English modules focus on the 4 skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking, as well as vocabulary, pronunciation and grammar while covering topics on aspects of British society. The module is available at 3 levels (Upper-intermediate, Advanced and Proficiency), so that you are taught and assessed at the right language level. The course combines both a lecture and seminars. The weekly language lecture covers areas of grammar, lexis and phonology covered in the seminars and includes a workshop to investigate areas of linguistic interest/difficulty suggested by the participants. The 2-hour seminars aim to improve language skillls through reading texts, watching videos, completing tasks, group discussions/debates and givings presentations. Class sizes are a maximum of 20 and will allow space to practise language in a relaxed, yet purposeful setting. See below for more information on the EFL modules and language entry levels.
2) English Language and Culture
These 10-credit language modules focus on a specific area of English-speaking culture and the literary genres associated with it. Language skills and accuracy is facilitated through the close study of a range of texts (mainly British) in the areas of Literature, News Media, Technology (TBC) and Film. The 2-hour classes encourage discussion and reflection of the cultural and linguistic issues raised in the texts. See below for more information on the ULC modules.
THESE ARE LANGUAGE MODULES AND NOT SUBJECT MODULES.
3) English for Academic Purposes
These 10-credit modules focus on the use of the English language in academic and professional situations. Both the areas of 'Reading and Writing' and 'Speaking and Listening' are covered in two individual modules, so that the specific text types and associated language can be studied in sufficient depth. The modules will not only complement your current university study in the UK, but will also prove your capability in transferable professional skills. See below for more information on the EAP modules.
You can find more information about the ELTC modules the following ways;
- Click on the module titles below or on the left.
- Read the email that will be sent to you the week before the semester begins from the ELTC.
- Attend the Module Enrolment Event from 10am on Friday 1st February in The Gallery, Student Union. A member of the ELTC staff will be there to give information and answer questions. YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ENROL FOR YOU MODULES HERE.
- E-mail the ELTC Credit-bearing Administrative Assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please find the timetable on the right-hand links on this page.
English Level needed for Modules -PLACEMENT
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
ALL students wishing to take a module with the ELTC will need to speak to an ELTC member of staff and in some cases take a placement test. This is to ensure you are put in the right level class and assessed later at the correct level too. YOU MAY BE BE EMAILED TO COMPLETE A SHORT ONLINE TEST TO HELP DECIDE WHICH LEVEL IS BEST FOR YOU. PLEASE BRING EVIDENCE OF YOUR ENGLISH LEVEL (CERTIFICATES, UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS etc...) TO THE MODULE ENROLMENT EVENT IF YOU HAVE IT.
Please click the title to get more information on the content and assessment. The entry levels for each module are also given and should be used as a guide to which ones are most suitable.
- ELT5001 - English as a Foreign Language (Upper-Intermediate 1) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5101 - English as a Foreign Language (Advanced 1) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5201 - English as a Foreign Language (Proficiency 1) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5301 - English Language and Culture (Literature) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5311 - English Language and Culture (News Media) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5401 - English for Academic Purposes (Reading and Writing) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5411 - English for Academic Purposes (Speaking and Listening) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5002 - English as a Foreign Language (Upper-Intermediate 2) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5102 - English as a Foreign Language (Advanced 2) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5202 - English as a Foreign Language (Proficiency 2) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5011 - English as a Foreign Language (Upper-Intermediate 1) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5111 - English as a Foreign Language (Advanced 1) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5211 - English as a Foreign Language (Proficiency 1) 20 CREDITS
- ELT5321 - English Language and Culture (Film) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5331 - English Language and Culture (Technology) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5402 - English for Academic Purposes (Reading and Writing) 10 CREDITS
- ELT5412 - Englsh for Academic Purposes (Speaking and Listening) 10 CREDITS