Professor Peter Andrews
Arthur Jackson Professor of Biomedical Science
Department of Biomedical Science
The University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
- E Floor Alfred Denny building
- Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 4173
- Fax: +44 (0) 114-222 2399
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Biology of human Embryonic Stem Cells and their Malignant counterparts from Teratocarcinomas.
Department of Biomedical Science, University of Sheffield
- Arthur Jackson Professor of Biomedical Science: 1992 - present
- Chairman of Department 1995-2003
The Wistar Institute of Anatomy and Biology, Philadelphia:
- Associate Professor: 1991 - 1992
- Assistant Professor: 1983 - 1990
- Research Associate: 1980 - 1982
- Research Investigator: 1978 - 1979
Sloan-Kettering Institute, New York:
- Research Fellow: 1976 - 1978
Institut Pasteur, Paris:
- Research Fellow: 1974 - 1975
Activities and distinctions:
- Chairman, Department of Biomedical Science, 1995 -2003.
- Co-founder and Director, Axordia Ltd., A University Spin-out Company (now a subsidiary of Pfizer).
- Co-Director, Centre for Stem Cell Biology.
- Co-ordinator of ESTOOLS, a European FP6 Integrated Project (www.estools.eu) (2006 – 2010).
Other external activities
- Editorial Boards: Journal of. Anatomy, Stem Cells, Regenerative Medicine, Handbook of Stem Cells, Stem Cell Research, Stem Cells and Development.
- 2008 Member MRC Translational Stem Cell Research Panel (July 2008 – present)
- 2007 Member SAB for Stem Cells for Safer Medicines (SC4SM), a PPP company established by the DTI and the ABPI to develop applications of human ES cells in predictive toxicology (2007 – present).
- 2011 Member, UK Stem Cell Bank Advisory Board 2011 - present
- 2002 Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, Yorkshire Cancer Research, 2002 - present
- 2010 SAB Bioprocessing Technology Institute, Biopolis, Singapore, 2010 - 2011.
- 2009 Participant in MRC delegation to California (Jan 2009); to China (May 2009)
- 2009 Memner of INSERM review committee for INSERM Unit, I-Stem, Evry, Paris. Jan 2009
- 2008 Invited Participant in UK FCO sponsored ‘Road Show on UK Human ES cell research, California, Feb 2008
- 2007 Review panel for Canadian Stem Cell Network (Sept 2007).
- 2007 Expert Review Panel for 21st Century Centre of Excellence Program, Kyoto University (Japan, June 2007)
- 2006 Member Steering Committee forUK Toxicology Initiative July 2006 – 2007
- 2006 Co-ordinated for MRC and CIRM a UK:Califironia Stem Cell meeting, to be held in the UK Nov 2006.
- 2006 Member, NIH National Stem Cell Bank, USA, 2006 - 2009
- 2006 Elected Board Member, ISSCR, March 2006 to 2009
- 2005 Member MRC Molecular Cell and Medicine Board April 2005- April 2010
- 2005 Represented MRC in meeting with California Institute Regenerative Medicine, San Francisco April 2005
- 2005 Member BBSRC Visiting Group to Review Roslin Institute 11 – 14 October, 2005
- 2004 Chairman, Finnish Academy Stem Cell Grants Panel, Sept 2004
- 2003 Member, UK Stem Cell Bank Management Committee 2003 - 2011
- 2003 Member UK Stem Cell Bank User Liaison Committee 2003 – 2008
- 2002 Invited member of ad hoc committees and discussion groups of the MRC to discuss national stem cell strategy, 2002 -2003.
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- European Union
- Medical Research Council (MRC)
- International Stem Cell Initiative
- UK India Education and Research Initiative (UKIERI)
- Yorkshire Cancer Research (YCR)
- Wongtrakoongate P, Li J & Andrews PW (2014) DNMT3B inhibits the re-expression of genes associated with induced pluripotency. Experimental Cell Research, 321(2), 231-239.
- Wongtrakoongate P, Li J & Andrews PW (2014) Aza-deoxycytidine induces apoptosis or differentiation via DNMT3B and targets embryonal carcinoma cells but not their differentiated derivatives. British Journal of Cancer.
- Isasi R, Andrews PW, Baltz JM, Bredenoord AL, Burton P, Chiu IM, Hull SC, Jung JW, Kurtz A, Lomax G, Ludwig T, McDonald M, Morris C, Ng HH, Rooke H, Sharma A, Stacey GN, Williams C, Zeng F & Knoppers BM (2014) Identifiability and privacy in pluripotent stem cell research.. Cell Stem Cell, 14(4), 427-430.
- Barbaric I, Biga V, Gokhale PJ, Jones M, Stavish D, Glen A, Coca D & Andrews PW (2014) Time-Lapse Analysis of Human Embryonic Stem Cells Reveals Multiple Bottlenecks Restricting Colony Formation and Their Relief upon Culture Adaptation. Stem Cell Reports.
- Wongtrakoongate P, Li J & Andrews PW (2014) Aza-deoxycytidine induces apoptosis or differentiation via DNMT3B and targets embryonal carcinoma cells but not their differentiated derivatives.. British journal of cancer, 110(8), 2131-2138.
- Na J, Baker D, Zhang J, Andrews PW & Barbaric I (2014) Aneuploidy in pluripotent stem cells and implications for cancerous transformation.. Protein Cell.
- Allison T, Powles-Glover NS, Stewart J & Andrews PW (2014) A Novel Human Embryoid Body System (hEB) with Potential to Be Used for Screening Drug Candidates in the Field of Reproductive Toxicology. BIRTH DEFECTS RESEARCH PART A-CLINICAL AND MOLECULAR TERATOLOGY, 100(5), 405-405.
- Wongtrakoongate P, Jones M, Gokhale PJ & Andrews PW (2013) STELLA facilitates differentiation of germ cell and endodermal lineages of human embryonic stem cells..PLoS One, 8(2), e56893.
- Alagaratnam S, Bakken AC, Hoff AM, Sveen A, Lothe RA, Skotheim RI, Harrison N, Jones M, Moore HD & Andrews PW (2013) Transforming pluripotency: An exon-level study of malignancy-specific transcripts in human embryonal carcinoma and embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells and Development, 22(7), 1136-1146.
- Lund RJ, Emani MR, Barbaric I, Kivinen V, Jones M, Baker D, Gokhale P, Nykter M, Lahesmaa R & Andrews PW (2013) Karyotypically abnormal human ESCs are sensitive to HDAC inhibitors and show altered regulation of genes linked to cancers and neurological diseases.. Stem Cell Res, 11(3), 1022-1036.
- Kong L, Aho K-L, Granberg K, Järvenpää L, Seppälä J, Leinonen K, Hahne L, Mäkelä J, Laurila K, Pukkila H, Yli-Harja O, Nykter M, Roos C, Autio R, Lund R, Närvä E, Lahesmaa R, Gokhale P & Andrews PW (2013) ESTOOLS Data@Hand: human stem cell gene expression resource. Nature Methods, 10(9), 814-815.
- Johnson P & Andrews PW (2013) Cell Fusion and the Differentiated State. Handbook of Stem Cells, 1, 89-94.
- Draper JS & Andrews PW (2013) Surface Antigen Markers. Handbook of Stem Cells, 1, 375-382.