Dr Hannes Saal
Department of Psychology
University of Sheffield
Floor G, Cathedral Court
1 Vicar Lane, Sheffield
S1 2LT, UK
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 6504
BSc Cognitive Science (Osnabrueck, Germany)
MSc Neuroinformatics (Edinburgh), PhD Neuroinformatics (Edinburgh)
I work on mathematical models of sensory coding and perception; my main research area is the sense of touch, where I use human psychophysics, computational modeling, and applied machine learning in order to elucidate the fundamental computations allowing us to make sense of our environment through touch.
Module organizer for PSY6309: Mathematical Modelling and Research skills.
Additional lecturing in PSY101 and PSY103.
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Graczyk EL, Schiefer MA, Saal HP, Delhaye BP, Bensmaia SJ & Tyler DJ (2016) The neural basis of perceived intensity in natural and artificial touch. Science Translational Medicine, 8(362). View this article in WRRO
- Saal HP, Wang X & Bensmaia SJ (2016) Importance of spike timing in touch: an analogy with hearing?. Current Opinion in Neurobiology, 40, 142-149. View this article in WRRO
- Saal HP, Harvey MA & Bensmaia SJ (2015) Rate and timing of cortical responses driven by separate sensory channels. eLife, 4. View this article in WRRO
- Saal HP & Bensmaia SJ (2015) Biomimetic approaches to bionic touch through a peripheral nerve interface. Neuropsychologia, 79, 344-353.
- Saal HP & Bensmaia SJ (2014) Touch is a team effort: interplay of submodalities in cutaneous sensibility. Trends in Neurosciences, 37(12), 689-697.
- Harvey MA, Saal HP, Dammann JF & Bensmaia SJ (2013) Multiplexing Stimulus Information through Rate and Temporal Codes in Primate Somatosensory Cortex. PLoS Biology, 11(5), e1001558-e1001558.
- Weber AI, Saal HP, Lieber JD, Cheng J-W, Manfredi LR, Dammann JF & Bensmaia SJ (2013) Spatial and temporal codes mediate the tactile perception of natural textures. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 110(42), 17107-17112.