Dr Pierre Petriacq
Tel: +44 (0)114 222 0072
Room C207, Alfred Denny Building
P3 Independent Research Fellow in Plant Metabolomics, University of Sheffield, UK (2016-present)
Research Associate in the Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, UK (2013-2016)
PhD in Biology, Section Plant Physiology, Paris-Sud University, Orsay, France (2008-2011)
MSc in Integrative Biology, Pierre and Marie Curie University, Paris, France (2006-2008)
I am a plant biochemist specialised in Mass Spectrometry. My research has primarily focused on plant physiological responses to growth and environmental constraints such a drought and pathogen infections. In particular, I have used '-omics' techniques (specifically transcriptomics and metabolomics) to study the metabolic regulations underpinning redox signalling upon biotic stress. I mostly used the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana for genetic approaches.
As a P3 Independent Research Fellow, I am now translating my research towards various crops (maize, oilseed rape, tomato to name but a few). I am involved in many different projects (chemical priming, rhizosphere chemistry, impacts of (photo)respiratory pathways and climate change on defence responses, benzoxazinoids signalling) by extensively using Mass Spectrometry techniques (MALDI-, UPLC-q-TOF) to detect adjustments in plant metabolomes. My key research interests are:
- rhizosphere chemistry: profiling root exudates, benzoxazinoids signalling, in collaboration with Jurriaan Ton
- metabolic regulations of the plant immune system: priming of plant defences, hormonal balance and (photo)respiration signalling
- NAD signalling in response to development and stress
I am a member of the Biological Mass Spectrometry Facility (biOMICS) at the University of Sheffield (http://biomics.group.shef.ac.uk)
- Jurriaan Ton (University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK)
- Anne Cotton (University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK)
- Stephen Rolfe (University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK)
- Duncan Cameron (University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK)
- Bertrand Gakière (Institute of Plant Sciences - Paris-Saclay, Orsay, France)
- Michael Hodges (Institute of Plant Sciences - Paris-Saclay, Orsay, France)
- Hermann Bauwe (Universität Rostock, Rostock, Germany)
- Heather Walker (University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK)
- Guillaume Tcherkez (The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia)
- Victor Flors (Universitat Jaume I, Castelló de la Plana, Spain)
- Gaétan Glauser (Université de Neuchâtel, Neuchâtel, Switzerland)
- Alexis Kasaras (Freie Universität Berlin, Berlin, Germany)
Teaching and supervisions
I am involved in the technical and scientific supervision of two PhD students, in particular for biochemical and analytical approaches:
- Alex Williams (impact of CO2 on plant immunity)
- Will Buswell (chemical priming of plant defences)
Pétriacq P, De Bont L, Genestout L, Hao J, Laureau C, Florez-Sarasa I, Rzigui T, Queval G, Gilard F, Mauve C, Guérard F, Lamothe-Sibold M, Marion J, Fresneau C, Brown SC, Danon A, Krieger-Liszkay A, Berthomé R, Ribas-Carbo M, Tcherkez G, Cornic G, Pineau B, Gakière B & De Paepe R (2017) Photoperiod affects the phenotype of mitochondrial complex I mutants. Plant Physiolology 173: 434-55.
Pétriacq P, Tcherkez G & Gakière B (2016) Pyridine nucleotides induce changes in cytosolic pools of calcium in Arabidopsis. Plant Sign. Behav. 11(11): e1249082.
Pétriacq P, Ton J, Patrit O, Tcherkez G & Gakière B (2016) NAD acts as an integral regulator of multiple defense layers. Plant Physiology 172: 1465-79 (also appears in December 2016 edition of Hot-off-the-press from BMSS mag).
Pétriacq P, Stassen JHM & Ton J (2016) Spore density determines infection strategy by the plant-pathogenic fungus Plectosphaerella cucumerina. Plant Physiology 170: 2325-39 (also appears in April 2016 edition of Hot-off-the-press from BMSS mag).
Luna E, van Hulten M, Zhang Y, Berkowitz O, López A, Pétriacq P, Sellwood MA, Chen B, Burrell M, van de Meene A, Pieterse CM, Flors V & Ton J (2014) Plant perception of β-aminobutyric acid is mediated by an aspartyl-tRNA synthetase. Nat Chem Biol 10(6): 450-6.
Pétriacq P, de Bont L, Tcherkez G & Gakière B. (2013) NAD: not just a pawn on the board of plant-pathogen interactions. Plant Sign Behav 8(1): e22477.
Pétriacq P, de Bont L, Hager J, Didierlaurent L, Mauve C, Guérard F, Noctor G, Pelletier S, Renou JP, Tcherkez G & Gakière B (2012) Inducible NAD overproduction in Arabidopsis alters metabolic pools and gene expression correlated with increased salicylate content and resistance to Pst-AvrRpm1. Plant J 70: 650-65.
Djebbar R, Rzigui T, Pétriacq P, Mauve C, Priault P, Fresneau C, De Paepe M, Florez-Sarasa I, Benhassaine-Kesri G, Streb P, Gakière B, Cornic G & De Paepe R (2012) Respiratory complex I deficiency induces drought tolerance by impacting leaf stomatal and hydraulic conductances. Planta 235: 603-14
Guérard F, Pétriacq P, Gakière B & Tcherkez G (2011) Liquid chromatography/time-of-flight mass spectrometry for the analysis of plant samples: a method for simultaneous screening of common cofactors or nucleotides and application to an engineered plant line. Plant Physiol Biochem 9: 1117-25.