Dr Cath Jackson
Room number: D18
Telephone (internal): 6918
Telephone (UK): 0114 222 6918
Telephone (International): +44 114 222 6918
I was awarded a BSc in Urban Land Economics from Sheffield City Polytechnic (now Sheffield Hallam University) in 1992.
Before my move into academia, I worked in both the public and private surveying sectors, including the Valuation Office Agency (Sheffield) and Leeds Development Corporation. My experience covered all aspects of the 1995 Rating Revaluation, including valuations and appeals across all property sectors, CPO work, Estate Management, Landlord and Tenant and Property Development.
I completed my PhD in the Department of Land Economy, University of Aberdeen in 2001.
From 1998 – 2004 I lectured in the Department of Land Economy, University of Aberdeen and from 2004 – 2006 I was Lecturer and then Senior Lecturer at Cass Business School, City University.
In 2006 I was appointed as Senior Lecturer in the Department of Town and Regional Planning, University of Sheffield.
To improve and further understanding of investors’ decision-making strategies within and across functionally and geographically diverse local property markets.
Investigating portfolio diversification strategies. Defining retail locational obsolescence. Exploring investors’ ex ante risk management strategies. Interplay between retail planning and institutional investors in the retail sector.
My teaching focuses on the interface between theory and practice, especially in the field of property investment.
I also teach the MA in Commercial Property and MA in Planning and Development.
TRP6412 – Investment Funding and Finance
TRP6410 – Property Economics
TRP6415 – Valuation
TRP6416 – Investment Valuation
TRP 6413 – Integrated Commercial Property Project
TRP 6414 – Integrated Planning and Development Project
I am supervising 3 Phd students and would welcome applications from students interested in PhD research in my areas of interest (or other areas agreed in joint discussion).
• Jackson, C. and Orr, A., (2011). Real Estate Stock Selection and Attribute Preferences, Journal of Property Research 28, 4, pp. 317–339.
• Jackson, C. (2011). Planning policy and retail property investment Urban Studies 48,11, pp. 2321 – 2338
• Jackson, C. and Watkins, C. (2007). Supply-side policies and retail property market performance, Environment and Planning: A, 39, pp. 1134-1146
• Jackson, C. and White, M. (2005) Challenging Traditional Real Estate Market Classifications for Investment Diversification, Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 11, 3, pp. 307-321
• Jackson, C. (2001) A model of spatial patterns across local retail property markets in Great Britain, Urban Studies, 38, 9, pp. 1145-1471.
I’m a member of RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors), the Investment Property Forum, the Society of Property Researchers and the European Real Estate Society.