Chris Blackmore, BSc, MA, DipCoun
Research Fellow/University Teacher
Centre for Study of Conflict & Reconciliation,
School of Health and Related Research,
30 Regent Street,
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel:(+44) (0)114 2220848
Fax:(+44) (0)114 2220785
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2002 to work on the SEPTIMUS project which developed and evaluated online Psychotherapy training resources. Since that time, I have been a tutor and Course Director on the course which became the MSc in Psychotherapy Studies. I have developed a wider interest in eLearning, and in particular on the role of emotions in online learning.
My main research interest is in the role of emotions in online learning, and more generally the impact of the internet on well-being. I have been involved in evaluating the CEP, SEPTIMUS and DEEP projects which have established and developed e-learning Psychotherapy training resources across Europe.
My teaching interest is in the area of Psychotherapy Studies and Mental Health. I have experience in eLearning, and of teaching both students and staff how to get the most out of online learning and teaching activity.
I am interested in supervising Research Students conducting research on eLearning, textual analysis, transformative learning and student engagement.
Activities and Distinctions
- Course Director of MSc in Psychotherapy Studies
- eLearning lead for ScHARR
- Undertaking a PhD in e-learning
- Principal Investigator, Centre for Psychological Services Research (CPSR): “Systematic Review of Group Psychotherapy”, funded by Institute of Group Analysis and Group Analytic Society
- External Examiner for the Open University
- Holder of Diploma in Counselling for Healthcare Practitioners at Sheffield University
Funded by the Knowledge Transfer Rapid Response Fund, I undertook usability testing for Dilemma Consultancy Ltd. in summer 2011. I currently provide educational consultancy to the New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling.
Key publications since 2002
- Blackmore, C., Tantam, D., Parry, G., Chambers, E. (2012) Report on a Systematic Review of the Efficacy and Clinical Effectiveness of Group Analysis and Analytic/Dynamic Group Psychotherapy, Group Analysis, Volume 45 Issue 1 March 2012 pp. 49 - 72.
- Blackmore, C. & Tantam, D. (2009) Computers, the internet and the World Wide Web: an introduction for the e-therapist-
Royal Collage of Psychiatry CPD module.
- Blackmore, C. & Tantam, D. (in press) Opportunities and risks in e-therapy. Royal Collage of Psychiatry CPD module.
- Blackmore, C., Tantam, D., & Deurzen, E. (2008) 'Evaluation of e-learning outcomes: experience from an online psychotherapy education programme', Open Learning: The Journal of Open and Distance Learning, 23:3,185-201.
- Blackmore, C., Deurzen, E. & Tantam, D. (2007) Therapy training online- using the internet to widen access to training in mental health issues. In: Theo Stickley and Thurstine Basset (eds) Teaching and learning about mental health. Wiley.
- Richardson, J.E., Blackmore, C. & Atkin, A. (2007) Arguing with Asperger Syndrome, in F.H. van Eemeren, J.A Blair, C.A. Willard & B. Garssen (eds) Proceedings of the Sixth Conference of the International Society for the Study of Argumentation, pp.1141-1146. Amsterdam: Sic Sat Publishers.
- Blackmore, C. & Tantam, D. (2006) Editorial introduction. International Journal of Psychotherapy, special edition, Vol. 10, No. 2.
- Blackmore, C., Tantam, D., & Deurzen, E. (2006) The role of the eTutor- Evaluating tutor input in a virtual learning community for psychotherapists and psychologists across Europe. International Journal of Psychotherapy, special edition, Vol. 10, No. 2.
- Deurzen, E., Blackmore, C., & Tantam, D. (2006) Distance and Intimacy in Internet Psychotherapy Training. International Journal of Psychotherapy, special edition, Vol. 10, No. 2.
- Tantam, D., Blackmore, C. & Deurzen, E. (2006) eLearning and traditional “face-to-face” teaching- a comparative evaluation of methods in a psychotherapy training programme. International Journal of Psychotherapy, special edition, Vol. 10, No. 2.
- Blackmore, C., Deurzen, E. & Tantam, D. (2005) A comparative evaluation of eLearning versus traditional "face-to-face" teaching methods in a psychotherapy training programme. In: Subhasish Dasgupta (ed) Encyclopedia of Virtual Communities and Technologies. George Washington University, USA, p. 174- 178.
I am based in the Mental Health group of the Health Services Research section in the School of Health and Related Research.