Dr Jill Carlton BMedSci (Sheffield), MMedSci (Sheffield), PhD (Sheffield)
University of Sheffield
Regent Court, 30 Regent Street
Sheffield S1 4DA
Tel: (+ 44) (0)114 222 0799
Fax: (+ 44) (0)114 272 4095
I trained as an orthoptist at University of Sheffield, and have worked in both Leicester and Sheffield. My experiences as a health care professional led to an interest in evidence-based medicine and a secondment to a research study based at ScHARR investigating the impact of age-related macular degeneration upon quality of life. I joined ScHARR as a research associate in 2005.
My research interests are health-related quality of life and patient outcome measures. In 2006 I was awarded a fellowship (Researcher Development Award) through the National Co-ordinating Centre for Research Capacity Development, NCCRCD). My PhD involved designing a paediatric disease-specific health related quality of life measure for amblyopia. Details of the research project can be found on this page.
My teaching interests lie in health services research, in particular ethical issues involved in health services research. I teach on two Masters programmes;
• MSc Health Economics and Decision Modelling (HAR669 module: Health Research Methods)
• MSc Economics and Health Economics (HAR6240: Research Methods in Health).
I am joint Module Coordinator for HAR6240.
I am currently working on a number of projects that use patient reported outcome measures and health-related quality of life. These include evaluating outcome measures in mental health; assessment of stress in patients trying to conceive; and evaluating dignity.
• ScHARR Fellowships and Studentships Officer
• Member of ScHARR Research Committee
• Member of HEDS Research Functional Working Group
• Member of HEDS Communications and Marketing Functional Working Group
• Member of HEDS Newsletter Development Group
• Browne C, Brazier J, Carlton J, Alavi Y, Jofre-Bonet M. Estimating quality-adjusted life years from patient-reported visual functioning. Eye 2012;26(10):1295-301
• Carlton J, Kaltenthaler E. Health related quality of life measures (HRQoL) in patients with amblyopia and strabismus: a systematic review. Br J Ophthalmol 2011;95:325-30. doi:10.1136/bjo.2009.178889
• Carlton J, Kaltenthaler E. Amblyopia and quality of life: a systematic review. Eye 2011;25:403-13.
• Rowen D, Carlton J, Brazier JE, Mulhern B, Palfreyman S, Stevens K, Tsuchiya A. FDA on PROMs: Two important points. BMJ 2010;341:c5454.
• Karnon J, Carlton J, Czoski-Murray C, Smith K. Informing disinvestment through cost-effectiveness modelling: Is lack of data a surmountable barrier? Appl Health Econ Health Policy 2009;7:1-9
• Czoski-Murray C, Carlton J, Brazier J, Young T, Papo NL, Kang HK. Valuing condition-specific health states using simulation contact lenses. Value Health 2009;12:793-9