Dr Andrew Thompson BA, DClinPsy, Dip. Prac. Cognitive Analytic Therapy, C Psychol., AFBPsS
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
Tel: (+44) (0)114 2226637
Fax: (+44) (0)114 2226610
Room: WB B12a
BA(Hons) (Liverpool), DClinPsy (Sheffield), Dip. Prac. Cognitive Analytic Therapy (Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapists), Chartered Clinical Psychologist, Chartered Health Psychologist, Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society.
Understanding psychosocial adaptation to trauma and illness (particularly where disfigurement is present)
My research over the past ten years has focused on identifying the psychosocial factors involved in adjustment in long-term health conditions and in acquired injuries that effect appearance. I have particular expertise with regards to examination of how people adjust to disfiguring conditions and my work has largely drawn on cognitive behavioural models (such as models of social anxiety and shame). My research has used both quantitative and qualitative methods to identify the factors that might be successfully targeted by psychosocial interventions.
The development of psychosocial interventions for the management of appearance concern/stigma and anxiety.
More recently I have been involved in developing and testing self-help interventions aimed at reducing distress associated with a variety of conditions that effect appearance. This work has focused on the application of techniques from a variety of models including CBT, Mindfulness, and Compassion Focused Therapy.
I have also been interested in the development of qualitative methodologies within clinical and health psychology research and in establishing systems to promote research training.
METRC. Thompson, A.R.(PI), Lavda, A., Millings, A., Baxter, R. Understanding the psychosocial impact of skin conditions and developing learning and teaching resources for dermatology healthcare professionals (awarded February 2014). £40,000.
British Skin Foundation. Lavda, A., Millings, A., & Thompson, A. Can attachment style predict coping and success of coping-based interventions in people with skin conditions? (awarded August 2013). £9757
Sheffield Health & Social Care Trust. Thompson A (awarded 2013). Evaluation of the community emotional well being service. £2000
Troprical Health Education Trust (THET) Health Partnership Scheme Start Up Grants. Thompson, A. Reducing psychological distress associated with skin conditions: A Partnership between The Psychology Department, The University of Sheffield, UK, and The Nigerian Association of Dermatologists, and The Vitiligo Support and Awareness Foundation (VITSAF) (awarded October 2012). £4715.58
JISC. Thompson, A. Data Management Planning and Storage for Psychology (DMSPpsych). (Awarded 2011). £36,314.
JISC. Plant, R., Thompson, A. R., & Reader, W. Postgraduate training for research data management in the psychological sciences (awarded August 2010). £57,870
Macmillan Cancer Support. Health & Wellbeing Clinics. Birley, J., Adamson, J., Beard, S.,
Bird, J., Bolster, K., Dawson, C., Dickinson, C., Fletcher, M., Hussain, S., Lewis, K., Lowson, P., Parkin, A., Richie, P., Thompson, A., Warting, C., Zaidi, A. Rotherham Women’s health & Well-being in Motion. (awarded 2010). £43,148
MRC/ESRC Interdisciplinary Research Studentship Norman, P., Goodacre, S., & Thompson, A. R. Psychological distress and service use among non cardiac chest pain patients. (awarded 2009). £62,692
Sheffield Hospitals Charitable Trust Thompson, A, R., Gawkrodger D., & King, J. Therapeutic writing Intervention in Vitiligo: A case series exploration of psychological treatment. (awarded June 2008). £1,900
Wellcome Trust Allmark, P., Clarke, A., Thompson, A.R. & Tod, A. Ethical issues in the use of in-depth interviews in health research. Supported Symposium. (awarded November 2006). £3,030
ESRC Collaborative MRes-PhD (CASE) Studentship Thompson, A. R., (PI), Baker, S., & Gibson, B. (School of Dentistry): Exploring Asian British experience of living with visible disfigurement. (awarded March 2006) £88,504
ESRC Collaborative PhD (CASE) Studentship Thompson, A. R., (PI) and Turpin, G.: Emotional responses to disfigurement and coping: a psychophysiological and attitudinal study. (January 2003). £60,000
Healing Foundation Rumsey, N. (PI) (Bristol), Newell, R. (Bradford), Clarke, A. (Royal Free Hospital, London), Newman, S. (UCL), Moss, T. (UWE), Kent, G. (Sheffield), Thompson, A. R. (Sheffield), Harcourt, D. (UWE), Charlton, R. (Warwick): Identifying factors and processes contributing to successful adjustment to disfiguring conditions in collaboration. (June 2004). £500,000
Sheffield Health & Social Research Consortium (SHSRC) Thompson, A. R., (PI) Rayner, K., & Walsh: Client's experience and understanding of change processes in cognitive analytic therapy. (2004). £1,000
SHSRC Thompson, A. R., (PI) Johnson, H., & Downs, M: Non-western refugee interpreters´ experience of trauma. (2004). £500
Barnsley Health & Social Care R&D Alliance Thompson, A. R., (PI) & Sheeran, P: Gaining conscious control over anxious thoughts using implementation intentions. (2005). £5,985
SHSRC Martindale, S., (PI) Thompson, A. R., et al.: Negotiating confidentiality and generating informed consent for users of the Continuing Needs and Sector clinical psychology resource: a qualitative analysis of the views of service users. (2005). £3,335
Teaching and administrative duties
Director of Research Training on the Clinical Psychology Programme. I teach on the Clinical, IAPT, undergraduate and MSc programmes.
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist in the NHS from 1998.
- Qualified Cognitive Analytic Practitioner since 2005.
- Member of University of Sheffield Senate 2010-13
- External Programme Examiner - Trinity College, Dublin 2009-12, Salomons Canterbury Christ Church University 2013-17
- Editorial Board of the British Dermatology Nursing Journal 2009 onwards
- From 2006 - 2013 committee member on the British Psychological Society (BPS), Committee on Training in Clinical Psychology (CTCP) and visiting accrediation team member of other HEI clinical psychology training courses.
- Secretary for the Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology (GTiCP) 2005-08.
- Member of Sheffield Health & Social Care Foundation Trust Research Development Group.
- Member of Sheffield Children's Hospital Charity Scientific Advisory Panel.
- Member of University of Sheffield Health & Human Interventional Studies Research Governance Sub-committee 2013
- Psychological Advisor to the Katie Piper Foundation 2013 -
- Special Psychological Advisor to The All Party Parliamentary Group on Skin 2013 -
- Visiting Professor of Clinical Psychology, University of Hull, Faculty of Health and Social Care 2013 -
Current Postgraduate Students
- Kerry Montgomery (PhD candidate): Mindfulness and chronic skin conditions
- Ruth Macleod (DClin Psy candidate): A grounded theory of post-traumatic stress and appearance concern following a burn injury (joint superivisor with Dr Susan Walsh)
- Kate Ablett (DClin Psy candidate): The family experience of childhood vitiligo: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis
- Madeline Pasterfield (DClin Psy candidate): The addition of a self-help intervention to cosmetic camouflage treatment. A pilot study assessing social anxiety outcomes
- Charlotte Priestley (DClin Psy candidate): The experience of sharing a diagnosis of Dementia (joint supervisor with Prof Paul Norman)
- Mark Hudson (DClin Psy candidate) - joint supervisor with Dr Lisa-Marie Berry
Andrew Thompson is based with the Clinical Psychology Unit (CPU) Group
Andrew Thompson is a member of the board of Medical Humanities Sheffield
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Clarke A, Thompson AR, Jenkinson E, Rumsey N & Newell R (2013) CBT for Appearance Anxiety: Psychosocial Interventions for Anxiety due to Visible Difference. Wiley.
- Harper D & Thompson AR (2011) Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Ersser SJ, Cowdell F, Latter S, Gardiner E, Flohr C, Thompson AR, Jackson K, Farasat H, Ware F & Drury A (2014) Psychological and educational interventions for atopic eczema in children. COCHRANE DATABASE OF SYSTEMATIC REVIEWS(1).
- Shah R, Hunt J, Webb TL & Thompson AR (2014) Starting to develop self-help for social anxiety associated with vitiligo: using clinical significance to measure the potential effectiveness of enhanced psychological self-help.. Br J Dermatol, 171(2), 332-337.
- Thompson AR & Taylor N (2014) Developing a health link partnership with dermatology services in Nigeria: Preliminary feedback from a tropical health education trust start-up project. Clinical Psychology Forum(258), 56-60.
- Webster R, Norman P, Goodacre S, Thompson AR & McEachan RR (2014) Illness representations, psychological distress and non-cardiac chest pain in patients attending an emergency department.. Psychology & health, 29(11), 1265-1282. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Muftin Z & Thompson AR (2013) A systematic review of self-help for disfigurement: Effectiveness, usability, and acceptability. Body Image, 10(4), 442-450.
- Webster R, Norman P, Goodacre S & Thompson A (2012) The prevalence and correlates of psychological outcomes in patients with acute non-cardiac chest pain: A systematic review. Emergency Medicine Journal, 29(4), 267-273.
- Thompson AR & Russo K (2012) Ethical Dilemmas for Clinical Psychologists in Conducting Qualitative Research. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 9(1), 32-46.
- Blackburn J, Thompson AR & May J (2012) Feeling good about being hungry: food-related thoughts in eating disorder. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 3(2), 243-257.
- McCarthy-Jones S, Marriott M, Knowles R, Rowse G & Thompson AR (2012) What is psychosis? A meta-synthesis of inductive qualitative studies exploring the experience of psychosis. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches.
- Lavda AC, Webb TL & Thompson AR (2012) A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of psychological interventions for adults with skin conditions.. Br J Dermatol, 167(5), 970-979.
- Thompson AR, Larkin M & Smith JA (2011) Interpretative phenomenological analysis and clinical psychology training: Results from a survey of the Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology. Clinical Psychology Forum(222), 15-19.
- Rayner K, Thompson AR & Walsh S (2011) Clients' experience of the process of change in cognitive analytic therapy. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 84(3), 299-313.
- Thompson AR (2011) A qualitative study of the experiences of people who identify themselves as having adjusted positively to a visible difference.. Journal of Health Psychology, 16(5), 739-749.
- James H, Jenkinson E, Harrad RA, Ezra DG, Newman SP, Rumsey NJK, Byron-Daniel J, Charlton RC, Clarke AJ, Clarke SA, Harcourt DM, James HM, Jenkinson E, Lindenmeyer A, Moss TP, Newell RJ, Newman SPE, Saul K, Thompson AR, Walsh E, White PG & Williams E (2011) Appearance concerns in ophthalmic patients. Eye, 25(8), 1039-1044.
- Thompson AR, Clarke SA, Newell RJ & Gawkrodger DJ (2010) Vitiligo linked to stigmatization in British South Asian women: A qualitative study of the experiences of living with vitiligo. British Journal of Dermatology, 163(3), 481-486.
- Lavda AC & Thompson AR (2010) Psychosocial impact of skin conditions: Interventions for nurses.. Dermatological Nursing, 9, 38-41.
- Palayiwa A, Sheeran P & Thompson A (2010) "WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME!" IMPLEMENTATION INTENTIONS REGULATE ATTENTION TO STIGMATIZING COMMENTS ABOUT APPEARANCE. J SOC CLIN PSYCHOL, 29(5), 575-598.
- Martindale SJ, Chambers E & Thompson AR (2009) Clinical psychology service users' experiences of confidentiality and informed consent: A qualitative analysis. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 82(4), 355-368.
- Donnison J, Thompson AR & Turpin G (2009) A qualitative exploration of communication within the community mental health team.. Int J Ment Health Nurs, 18(5), 310-317.
- Thompson AR & Broom L (2009) Positively managing intrusive reactions to disfigurement: An interpretative phenomenological analysis of naturalistic coping.. Diversity in Health and Care, 171-180.
- Allmark P, Boote J, Chambers E, Clarke A, McDonnell A, Thompson AR & Tod A (2009) Ethical issues in the use of in-depth interviews: literature review and discussion. Research Ethics Review(2), 48-54.
- Johnson H, Thompson A & Downs M (2009) Non-Western interpreters' experiences of trauma: The protective role of culture following exposure to oppression. Ethnicity and Health, 14(4), 407-418.
- Saradjian A, Thompson AR & Datta D (2008) The experience of men using an upper limb prosthesis following amputation: Positive coping and minimizing feeling different. Disability and Rehabilitation, 30(11), 871-883.
- Marriott C & Thompson AR (2008) Managing threats to femininity: Personal and interpersonal experience of living with vulval pain. Psychology and Health, 23(2), 243-258.
- Johnson H & Thompson A (2008) The development and maintenance of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in civilian adult survivors of war trauma and torture: A review. Clinical Psychology Review, 28(1), 36-47.
- Grandfield TA, Thompson AR & Turpin G (2005) An attitudinal study of responses to a range of dermatological conditions using the Implicit Association Test. Journal of Health Psychology, 10(6), 821-829.
- Nicholl C & Thompson A (2004) The psychological treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in adult refugees: A review of the current state of psychological therapies. Journal of Mental Health, 13(4), 351-362.
- Thompson AR, Kent G & Smith JA (2002) Living with vitiligo: Dealing with difference. British Journal of Health Psychology, 7(2), 213-225.
- Thompson A & Kent G (2001) Adjusting to disfigurement: Processes involved in dealing with being visibly different. Clinical Psychology Review, 21(5), 663-682.
- Thompson AR (2014) Self-help for management of distress associated with skin conditions. I In Bewley A, Taylor RE, Reichenberg JS & Magid M (Ed.), Practical psychodermatology (pp. 60-66). London: Wiley.
- Webster, R , Thompson AR, Webb TL & Sheeran P (2014) Self-help treatments and stepped care In Emmelkamp P & Ehring T (Ed.), The Wiley Handbook of Anxiety Disorders (pp. 1242-1255). London: Wiley.
- Thompson AR (2012) Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance In Rumsey N & Harcourt D (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance OUP Oxford.
- Thompson AR (2012) Skin conditions, Encyclopedia of Body Image and Human Appearance (pp. 738-744). Elsevier Inc..
- Thompson AR & Chambers E (2011) Ethical Issues in Qualitative Mental Health Research, Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy: A Guide for Students and Practitioners (pp. 23-37). John Wiley and Sons.
- Thompson AR (2011) Adaptation in long-term conditions: the role of stigma particularly in conditions that affect appearance. In Randall S & Ford H (Ed.), The Textbook of Long-term Conditions (pp. 121-137). Wiley Blackwell.
- Thompson AR & Cash TF (2011) Body Image Issues in Dermatology, Body Image: A Handbook of Science, Practice, and Prevention. (pp. 323-332). Guilford Press.
- Larkin M & Thompson AR (2011) Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis in Mental Health and Psychotherapy Research, Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy: A Guide for Students and Practitioners (pp. 99-116). John Wiley and Sons.
- Thompson AR (2005) Coping with chronic skin conditions: Factors important in explaining individual variation in adjustment In Walker C & Papadopoulos L (Ed.), Psychodermatology (pp. 57-71). Cambridge Univ Pr.
- Kent G & Thompson AR (2002) The development and maintenance of shame in disfigurement In Gilbert P & Miles J (Ed.), Body shame (pp. 103-116). Routledge.