Dr Andrew Thompson BA, DClinPsy, Dip. Prac. Cognitive Analytic Therapy, C Psychol., AFBPsS
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S10 2TN
Tel: (+44) (0)114 2226637
Fax: (+44) (0)114 2226610
Room: WB B12a
BA(Hons) (Liverpool), DClinPsy (Sheffield), Dip. Prac. Cognitive Analytic Therapy (Association of Cognitive Analytic Therapists), Chartered Clinical Psychologist, Chartered Health Psychologist, Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society.
Understanding psychosocial adaptation to trauma and illness (particularly where disfigurement is present)
My research over the past ten years has focused on identifying the psychosocial factors involved in adjustment in long-term health conditions and in acquired injuries that effect appearance. I have particular expertise with regards to examination of how people adjust to disfiguring conditions and my work has largely drawn on cognitive behavioural models (such as models of social anxiety and shame). My research has used both quantitative and qualitative methods to identify the factors that might be successfully targeted by psychosocial interventions.
The development of psychosocial interventions for the management of appearance concern/stigma and anxiety.
More recently I have been involved in developing and testing self-help interventions aimed at reducing distress associated with a variety of conditions that effect appearance. This work has focused on the application of techniques from a variety of models including CBT, Mindfulness, and Compassion Focused Therapy.
I have also been interested in the development of qualitative methodologies within clinical and health psychology research and in establishing systems to promote research training.
British Skin Foundation. Lavda, A., Millings, A., & Thompson, A. Can attachment style predict coping and success of coping-based interventions in people with skin conditions? (awarded August 2013). £9757
Sheffield Health & Social Care Trust. Thompson A (awarded 2013). Evaluation of the community emotional well being service. £2000
Troprical Health Education Trust (THET) Health Partnership Scheme Start Up Grants. Thompson, A. Reducing psychological distress associated with skin conditions: A Partnership between The Psychology Department, The University of Sheffield, UK, and The Nigerian Association of Dermatologists, and The Vitiligo Support and Awareness Foundation (VITSAF) (awarded October 2012). £4715.58
JISC. Thompson, A. Data Management Planning and Storage for Psychology (DMSPpsych). (Awarded 2011). £36,314.
JISC. Plant, R., Thompson, A. R., & Reader, W. Postgraduate training for research data management in the psychological sciences (awarded August 2010). £57,870
Macmillan Cancer Support. Health & Wellbeing Clinics. Birley, J., Adamson, J., Beard, S.,
Bird, J., Bolster, K., Dawson, C., Dickinson, C., Fletcher, M., Hussain, S., Lewis, K., Lowson, P., Parkin, A., Richie, P., Thompson, A., Warting, C., Zaidi, A. Rotherham Women’s health & Well-being in Motion. (awarded 2010). £43,148
MRC/ESRC Interdisciplinary Research Studentship Norman, P., Goodacre, S., & Thompson, A. R. Psychological distress and service use among non cardiac chest pain patients. (awarded 2009). £62,692
Sheffield Hospitals Charitable Trust Thompson, A, R., Gawkrodger D., & King, J. Therapeutic writing Intervention in Vitiligo: A case series exploration of psychological treatment. (awarded June 2008). £1,900
Wellcome Trust Allmark, P., Clarke, A., Thompson, A.R. & Tod, A. Ethical issues in the use of in-depth interviews in health research. Supported Symposium. (awarded November 2006). £3,030
ESRC Collaborative MRes-PhD (CASE) Studentship Thompson, A. R., (PI), Baker, S., & Gibson, B. (School of Dentistry): Exploring Asian British experience of living with visible disfigurement. (awarded March 2006) £88,504
ESRC Collaborative PhD (CASE) Studentship Thompson, A. R., (PI) and Turpin, G.: Emotional responses to disfigurement and coping: a psychophysiological and attitudinal study. (January 2003). £60,000
Healing Foundation Rumsey, N. (PI) (Bristol), Newell, R. (Bradford), Clarke, A. (Royal Free Hospital, London), Newman, S. (UCL), Moss, T. (UWE), Kent, G. (Sheffield), Thompson, A. R. (Sheffield), Harcourt, D. (UWE), Charlton, R. (Warwick): Identifying factors and processes contributing to successful adjustment to disfiguring conditions in collaboration. (June 2004). £500,000
Sheffield Health & Social Research Consortium (SHSRC) Thompson, A. R., (PI) Rayner, K., & Walsh: Client's experience and understanding of change processes in cognitive analytic therapy. (2004). £1,000
SHSRC Thompson, A. R., (PI) Johnson, H., & Downs, M: Non-western refugee interpreters´ experience of trauma. (2004). £500
Barnsley Health & Social Care R&D Alliance Thompson, A. R., (PI) & Sheeran, P: Gaining conscious control over anxious thoughts using implementation intentions. (2005). £5,985
SHSRC Martindale, S., (PI) Thompson, A. R., et al.: Negotiating confidentiality and generating informed consent for users of the Continuing Needs and Sector clinical psychology resource: a qualitative analysis of the views of service users. (2005). £3,335
Teaching and administrative duties
Director of Research Training on the Clinical Psychology Programme. I teach on the Clinical, IAPT, undergraduate and MSc programmes.
- Member of University of Sheffield Senate 2010-13
- External Programme Examiner - Trinity College, Dublin 2009-12, Salomons Canterbury Christ Church University 2013-17
- Editorial Board of the British Dermatology Nursing Journal 2009 onwards
- From 2006 - 2013 committee member on the British Psychological Society (BPS), Committee on Training in Clinical Psychology (CTCP) and visiting accrediation team member of other HEI clinical psychology training courses.
- Secretary for the Group of Trainers in Clinical Psychology (GTiCP) 2005-08.
- Invited symposium on ethics and qualitative research at The British Psychological Society annual conference, Dublin, April 2008
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist in the NHS from 1998.
- Qualified Cognitive Analytic Practitioner since 2005.
- Invited presenter at The Roal Society of Medicine, Public Lecture series 'Medicine and Me', 2009
- Medical expert in cases associated with trauma, disfigurement and adaptation to acquired injuries.
- Member of Sheffield Health & Social Care Foundation Trust Research Development Group.
- Member of Sheffield Children's Hospital Scientific Advisory Panel.
- Member of University of Sheffield Health & Human Interventional Studies Research Governance Sub-committee
- Psychological Advisor to the Katie Piper Foundation.
- Special Psychological Advisor to The All Party Parliamentary Group on Skin
- Member of the University of Sheffield Health & Human-Interventional Studies Committee
Current Postgraduate Students
- Kerry Montgomery (PhD candidate)
- Ruth Macleod (DClin Psy candidate): A grounded theory of post-traumatic stress and appearance concern following a burn injury (joint superivisor with Dr Susan Walsh)
- Kate Ablett (DClin Psy candidate): The family experience of childhood vitiligo: An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis
- Madeline Pasterfield (DClin Psy candidate): The addition of a self-help intervention to cosmetic camouflage treatment. A pilot study assessing social anxiety outcomes
- Charlotte Priestley (DClin Psy candidate): The experience of sharing a diagnosis of Dementia (joint supervisor with Prof Paul Norman)
- Mark Hudson (DClin Psy candidate) - joint supervisor with Dr Lisa-Marie Berry
Andrew Thompson is based with the Clinical Psychology Unit (CPU) Group
Andrew Thompson is a member of the board of Medical Humanities Sheffield
A list of key publications can be found below. For a full list of publications please click here
- Clarke A, Thompson AR, Jenkinson E, Rumsey N & Newell R (2013) CBT for Appearance Anxiety: Psychosocial Interventions for Anxiety due to Visible Difference. Wiley.
- Harper D & Thompson AR (2011) Qualitative Research Methods in Mental Health and Psychotherapy. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Muftin Z & Thompson AR (2013) A systematic review of self-help for disfigurement: Effectiveness, usability, and acceptability. Body Image, 10(4), 442-450.
- Webster R, Norman P, Goodacre S & Thompson A (2012) The prevalence and correlates of psychological outcomes in patients with acute non-cardiac chest pain: a systematic review.. Emerg Med J, 29(4), 267-273.
- Thompson AR & Russo K (2012) Ethical Dilemmas for Clinical Psychologists in Conducting Qualitative Research. Qualitative Research in Psychology, 9(1), 32-46.
- Thompson A, Bhatt R, Hunt J & Webb T (2012) Embedding implementation intentions in social anxiety self-help for vitiligo. PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH, 27, 129-129.
- Blackburn J, Thompson AR & May J (2012) Feeling good about being hungry: food-related thoughts in eating disorder. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 3(2), 243-257.
- McCarthy-Jones S, Marriott M, Knowles R, Rowse G & Thompson AR (2012) What is psychosis? A meta-synthesis of inductive qualitative studies exploring the experience of psychosis. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches.
- Lavda AC, Webb TL & Thompson AR (2012) A meta-analysis of the effectiveness of psychological interventions for adults with skin conditions.. Br J Dermatol, 167(5), 970-979.
- Rayner K, Thompson AR & Walsh S (2011) Clients' experience of the process of change in cognitive analytic therapy. PSYCHOL PSYCHOTHER-T, 84, 299-313.
- Thompson AR, Clarke SA, Newell RJ, Gawkrodger DJ & Appearance Research Collaboration (ARC) (2010) Vitiligo linked to stigmatization in British South Asian women: a qualitative study of the experiences of living with vitiligo.. Br J Dermatol, 163(3), 481-486.
- Palayiwa A, Sheeran P & Thompson A (2010) "WORDS WILL NEVER HURT ME!" IMPLEMENTATION INTENTIONS REGULATE ATTENTION TO STIGMATIZING COMMENTS ABOUT APPEARANCE. J SOC CLIN PSYCHOL, 29(5), 575-598.
- Thompson AR & Broom L (2009) Positively managing intrusive reactions to disfigurement: An interpretative phenomenological analysis of naturalistic coping.. Diversity in Health and Care, 171-180.
- Saradjian A, Thompson AR & Datta D (2008) The experience of men using an upper limb prosthesis following amputation: positive coping and minimizing feeling different.. Disabil Rehabil, 30(11), 871-883.
- Marriott C & Thompson AR (2008) Managing threats to femininity: Personal and interpersonal experience of living with vulval pain. PSYCHOL HEALTH, 23(2), 243-258.
- Johnson H & Thompson AR (2008) The Development and Maintenance of Post. Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) in civilian adult survivors of war trauma and torture: A review.. Clinical Psychology Review, 36-47.
- Grandfield TA, Thompson AR & Turpin G (2005) An attitudinal study of responses to a range of dermatological conditions using the implicit association test.. J Health Psychol, 10(6), 821-829.
- Nicholl C & Thompson AR (2004) The psychological treatment of PTSD in adult refugees: A review of the current state of psychological therapies.. Journal of Mental Health, 351-362.
- Thompson AR, Kent G & Smith JA (2002) Living with vitiligo: Dealing with difference. BRIT J HEALTH PSYCH, 7, 213-225.
- Thompson AR & Kent G (2001) Adjusting to disfigurement: Processes involved in dealing with being visibly different.. Clinical Psychology Review(5), 663-682.
- Thompson AR (2012) Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance In Rumsey N & Harcourt D (Ed.), Oxford Handbook of the Psychology of Appearance OUP Oxford.
- Thompson AR (2011) Adaptation in long-term conditions: the role of stigma particularly in conditions that affect appearance. In Randall S & Ford H (Ed.), The Textbook of Long-term Conditions (pp. 121-137). Wiley Blackwell.
- Thompson AR & Cash TF (2011) Body Image Issues in Dermatology, Body Image: A Handbook of Science, Practice, and Prevention. (pp. 323-332). Guilford Press.
- Kent G & Thompson AR (2002) The development and maintenance of shame in disfigurement In Gilbert P & Miles J (Ed.), Body shame (pp. 103-116). Routledge.
- Webster R, Norman P, Goodacre S & Thompson A (2012) Can Illness representations predict psychological morbidity in non-cardiac chest pain patients attending an emergency department?. PSYCHOLOGY & HEALTH, Vol. 27 (pp 139-139)