It is the responsibility of an individual student to apply for and secure a placement. Only once a placement has been secured does the student transfer onto the new degree programme. If a student does not secure a placement they continue into their final year as originally planned.
Support is offered to students to assist them with their applications in the following way:
- What's On - The Careers Service What's On diary includes a programme of workshops and talks for students to assist with their pre-placement preparation.
- MOLE - a dedicated MOLE (WebCT) Placements Resource for students who are applying for placements. The pages have been designed to provide support and guidance to students throughout their placement. Students and staff can access this resource by emailing Helen Thorpe (details below) with their username.
- Vacancies - available from the Careers Service, advertising placement opportunities for University of Sheffield students.
If you would like to advertise any placement opportunities that are sent directly to your department via the online vacancy system, please contact the Student Placement Officer (only students from the University of Sheffield can access the online vacancy system).
- Widening their search - students are encouraged to carry out a wide search for placements, advice for students is offered via MOLE (WebCT) and the student section of these webpages.
Employers are often keen to come on campus to promote their placement opportunities, if you are interested in organising an industry / employer presentation or other event please contact Helen Thorpe.
Prior to students commencing their placement they should attend a pre-placement briefing session at the University which will include:
- the student's responsibility whilst on placement
- health and safety
- assessment requirements
- the support available from the university
- making the most of the experience
If you wish to arrange a pre-placement briefing session for students in your department please contact Helen Thorpe, Student Placement Officer on 0114 222 0937 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org