Astronomy and Astrophysics Group
- Understanding the building-blocks of galaxies.
We are interested in the formation and evolution of stars on all scales - individually, in star clusters, and in starbursts, as well as the influence of AGN activity on galaxies.
- High Time-resolution Astrophysics. We investigate a wide-range of astrophysical phenomena (from Kuiper Belt objects to gamma-ray bursts) using the Sheffield-led ULTRACAM instrument.
For more details on our research please visit the Astronomy and Astrophysics Group website:
Academic staff and research fellows
- Professor Paul Crowther
- Professor Vik Dhillon
- Dr Simon Goodwin
- Dr Stuart Littlefair
- Professor Clive Tadhunter
The Astronomy and Astrophysics group also has 2 PDRAs, and 9 PhD students.
- Dr Chris Benn - Visiting Senior Lecturer
- Prof Robert Fosbury - Visiting Professor
- Prof Pavel Kroupa - Leverhulme Trust Visiting Professor
- Leading the construction, use and exploitation of ULTRACAM, a high time resolution instrument.
- Highly sucessful when applying for time on space and ground-based telescopes (including HST, Spitzer, VLT and Gemini)
- Undertaking world-leading numerical hydrodynamical and N-body simulations.