Obtaining Prior Enter Clearance/Leave to Enter Abroad
1. Read "Information for New International Students 2012-13" section at
2. As soon as possible:
- Find out if you need ATAS or not – postgraduates only at:
- Download theform from following webpage:
If you can’t do this, please contact nearest UK Visa Application Centre or UK Embassy/High Commission.
3. Interviews are required for pre-departure entry clearance.
- There may be a long waiting list for interview appointments.
- Book the appointment even before examination results are known.
- Take all documents to the interview.
4. Graduate students must complete this application procedure as soon as possible if they wish to obtain University-owned/-managed accommodation. Entry clearance must be obtained before the housing confirmation card can be completed see:
5. Your student visa must not start more than 3 months before the course start date.
Immigration regulations and procedures are subject to change. All information in this section should be checked with the British Embassy/High Commission near the time of departure. Up to date information can also be found on the UK visas website: