Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health
PlacementsThe University of Sheffield offers elective placements to students in their clinical year of study. Elective placements are available generally between 4 and 10 weeks at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Northern General Hospital, Jessop Wing, Weston Park Hospital and Sheffield Children’s Hospital.
We offer elective placements in a variety of specialities. Once confirmed, placements cannot be transferred or changed to different dates.
Applications to the University of Sheffield Electives Programme will be accepted twice yearly.
Placements between 1st December 2013 and 31st May 2014: All required documentation must be received electronically at the Medical School by no later than 5:00pm (GMT) 31st May 2013.
Visas and FeesOnce accepted, it is the responsibility of the overseas applicant to obtain the necessary visa for their elective attachment.
If from outside the EU:
1) check the UK Border Agency website at: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/ for information about Tier 4 student visa requirements.
2) ensure that they fulfil all the criteria for Tier 4 and have all the documentation required to obtain entry to the UK in time to take up an elective placement (this includes the CAS (which is issued by The University of Sheffield Admissions Department and not by the Medical School), evidence of ability to pay fees, and evidence of ability to pay living costs for the duration of the elective placement.
3) All visiting medical elective students will be issued with a CAS number. For full details of this process please see our webpages at http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/cas-application/index.
4) Please note that neither the admissions service nor the Medical School can assist with visa applications other than by providing the Certification of Acceptance.
5) Please note that electives cannot be re-arranged if visas are not obtained in time to start on the agreed date nor can the £200 acceptance fee be refunded.
We recommend that you apply for your visa promptly as approval can take considerable time.
There is no fee to apply for the Sheffield Electives Programme. If accepted, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable £200 administrative charge to secure your placement.
Health RequirementsAll visiting medical elective students are required to complete pre-placement health screening via our Occupational Health service once an offer of place is made. Students will be required to complete a paper questionnaire which will be assessed by one of the occupational health specialist nurses.
All successful students will be required to attend an appointment at our Occupational Health Service on the first day of their clinical attachment so that full health clearance can be given prior to the start of the attachment.
Students who reside in countries which are considered to have a high incidence of TB will be required to attend an occupational health appointment in Sheffield 1 week prior to the start of their elective attachment so that the necessary tests can be taken and results returned prior to the start of the elective attachment. If you are unsure if your country is identified as "high-risk" there is a table in the links section on the right of this page.