Undergraduate study in mathematics and statistics
Mathematics may have been studied since ancient times, but exhilarating new areas of the subject continue to evolve in the 21st century. And the work of mathematicians and statisticians is crucial to keeping the world turning today.
The story of mathematics leads from the clay tablets of the Babylonians to the beauty and intricacy of today's numerical models and theorems – and the advanced calculations needed to analyse medical data and keep satellites in orbit.
Join us and you'll play a part in this incredible story. You'll study this rewarding subject at one of Britain's top universities, earning a degree that can open the way to even greater things.
Stand up and be counted
Study at Sheffield and you could make a mark on the world in any number of ways. Pure maths can form the basis for a huge variety of careers (as our graduates' career stories show: see the box on the right). If you love the subject you could go on to further study and research.
Meanwhile, medical statisticians play a crucial role in the fight against diseases. Analysing satellite data can give deeper insights into climate change. Data encryption makes the internet a safer place (our students can take a third-year module on this).
Whether it's pure or applied maths you've got a passion for (or both), a good degree from us can help you go all the way in your career – wherever it takes you. Employers love the all-round knowledge and confidence of our graduates, as well as their expertise in the subject.
What our graduates do
Some of our students go on to work in finance, with careers in accountancy, actuarial work, public finance and insurance.
Some take up occupations like teaching, advertising, operations research and meteorology. Others continue to study at masters and PhD level.
Great teaching, great community
Learning with us is a special experience in more ways than one. You'll become a truly independent thinker who can devise the best method to solve problems that have no obvious approach. And you'll develop communication skills to fine-tune your arguments with precision and power.
Our staff have earned worldwide reputations for their amazing research. But Sheffield's a university where the academics have always got time for students. You'll get close support from your personal tutor throughout your time with us, whenever you need it.
Students love the family atmosphere around our department. They love the way we keep them in the loop with everything that goes on around the department. And our staff/student committee even gives you a say in how things are run.
We're a place where people from all backgrounds feel right at home, with many students joining us from around the world – China, India, Malaysia and the breadth of Europe. And the close-knit community feel of our department continues after hours with our student society SUMS. Join up and you'll discover a great calendar of social events, including the 'Geek Week' charity fundraiser and trips abroad. You'll suddenly find a whole new circle of like-minded friends.
Do it your own way
The flexible way our courses work means you can keep your options open and decide later if there's an aspect of mathematics you want to specialise in. Pure or applied, on its own or with another subject, our degrees in mathematics and statistics give you the freedom to explore and find the area of study that sets your imagination alight.
Want to specialise in one subject with a single honours degree in maths or financial maths? Take a dual degree and mix maths with another subject like philosophy, management or economics? Or spend a year in Europe as you study maths with French, German or Spanish? Explore our range of courses and see what you like the sound of.
Travel while you study
Study maths and stats with us and you could take part of your degree in Australia or North America. We link up with universities such as Queensland and New Mexico so that you can spend your third year living and learning with them.
It's a great opportunity to broaden your grasp of the subject by attending a leading institution in another country. It's also an incredible all-round experience, when you can enjoy a taste of freedom, build your independence, and develop invaluable life skills.
Need to know more?
- As a student at Sheffield you'd earn a degree from the 2011 Times Higher Education University of the Year. Find out more about why we won this prestigious award – and what it means for you.
- Our maths and statistics students can spend a year in industry, working while they learn, earning while they work, and gaining valuable experience to put another layer of gloss on that CV.
- If you're coming to study in Sheffield from outside the UK, you'll receive a warm, friendly welcome in the city and across the University. Check out our international students page for more help and advice.
- We believe in helping to build public understanding and appreciation of science. Our programme of outreach and schools liaison gives our maths students a chance to share the department's work with young people and the wider public, right here on our doorstep in Sheffield.
- You might be eligible for grants from the government or bursaries or fee waivers from the University, to help with the cost of studying. This depends on where you live and your family's earnings. See our student finance pages for more.
- Study with us and you'll enjoy support, representation, facilities, services, entertainment and social activities from our outstanding students' union. It's been voted the best in Britain on more than one occasion.
- Sheffield is the UK's greatest city for the whole experience of university life. Explore our student living pages to find out more.
Find out more...
Anything else we can help with? Check out our FAQs, or drop us a line and we'll get back to you.