Professor John L Provis
BE(Hons), BSc, PhD, CEng, MIChemE
Professor of Cement Materials Science and Engineering
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5490
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
John Provis joined the Department in 2012 with a Chair in Cement Materials Science and Engineering. He took a combined BE(Hons)/BSc in Chemical Engineering and Applied Mathematics from the University of Melbourne, Australia, in 2002, followed by a PhD in Chemical Engineering from the University of Melbourne in 2006. From 2006 to May 2012 he was research fellow then senior research fellow, manager (2006-8) and leader (2009-12) of the Geopolymer and Minerals Processing Group and holder of APD and DORA fellowships, in the Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Melbourne, before joining the University of Sheffield.
His research centres on the development, characterisation and exploitation of advanced and non-traditional cement and concrete technology. Many projects involve alkali-activated and geopolymer binders, for use in infrastructure and waste immobilisation applications. The range of topics covered include:-
- Construction materials synthesis and testing
- Geopolymers – chemical and engineering properties
- Chemistry of alkali aluminosilicate gels
- Interactions with the environment (durability, fire testing)
- Other alkali-activated and Portland cement-hybrid concrete systems
- Rheology control
- Waste immobilisation
- Nuclear wastes
- Heavy metals
- Silica chemistry in biological environments
- Mineral dissolution in biuofluids
- Biomaterials development
- Application of reaction engineering techniques
- Interactions involving silica (aqueous and surfaces) and gold
- Ion exchange equilibrium modelling
- Thermodynamics of electrolyte solutions
- Durability analysis and standardisation of alkali-activated cements and concretes (via RILEM technical committees)
- Local structural analysis of aluminosilicates via advanced beamline techniques
- Development and characterisation of novel cements and concretes
Professional activities and recognition
- Senior Member of RILEM
- Secretary, Technical Committee 224-AAM (2009-2012)
- Member, Technical Committee 238-SCM (2011-)
- Chair, Technical Committee DTA (2012-)
- Member of the Institution of Chemical Engineers; Chartered Engineer
- Member of the American Ceramic Society
- Editorial Board of Materials & Structures
- Editorial Board of ISRN Materials Science
- Peer Review Advisory Board, Center for Nanoscale Materials, Argonne National Laboratory
- Australian Research Council DORA Award, 2012
- Brian Robinson Fellowship (Banksia Foundation, Australia), 2009
- Australian Research Council APD fellowship, 2008-2011
- Fulbright Scholar to the USA, 2004-5
- Provis, J.L.; Myers, R.J.; White, C.E.; Rose, V.; van Deventer, J.S.J., X-ray microtomography shows pore structure and tortuosity in alkali-activated binders, Cement and Concrete Research, 2012, 42(6), 855-864.
- Feng, D.; Provis, J.L.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Thermal activation of albite for the synthesis of one-part mix geopolymers, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 2012, 95(2), 565-572.
- van Deventer, J.S.J.; Provis, J.L.; Duxson, P., Technical and commercial progress in the adoption of geopolymer cement, Minerals Engineering, 2012, 29, 89-104.
- White, C.E.; Provis, J.L.; Proffen, Th.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Molecular mechanisms responsible for the structural changes occurring during geopolymerization: Multiscale simulation, AIChE Journal, 2012, 58(7), 2241-2253.
- Provis, J.L.; Rose, V.; Winarski, R.P.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Hard X-ray nanotomography of amorphous aluminosilicate cements”, Scripta Materialia, 2011, 65(4), 316-319.
- Hajimohammadi, A.; Provis, J.L.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Time-resolved and spatially-resolved infrared spectroscopic observation of seeded nucleation controlling geopolymer gel formation, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 2011, 357(2), 384-392.
- Juenger, M.C.G.; Winnefeld, F.; Provis, J.L.; Ideker, J., Advances in alternative cementitious binders, Cement and Concrete Research, 2011, 41(12), 1232-1243.
- Bernal, S.A.; Mejía de Gutierrez, R.; Provis, J.L.; Rose, V., Effect of silicate modulus and metakaolin incorporation on the carbonation of alkali silicate-activated slags.” Cement and Concrete Research, 2010, 40(6), 898-907.
- White, C.E.; Provis, J.L.; Proffen, T.; Riley, D.P.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Combining density functional theory (DFT) and pair distribution function (PDF) analysis to solve the structure of metastable materials: the case of metakaolin.” Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, 2010, 12(13), 3239-3245.
- Provis, J.L.; Rose, V.; Bernal, S.A.; van Deventer, J.S.J., High resolution nanoprobe X-ray fluorescence characterization of heterogeneous calcium and heavy metal distributions in alkali activated fly ash, Langmuir, 2009, 25(19), 11897-11904.
- Provis, J.L.; van Deventer, J.S.J. (Editors), Geopolymers: Structure, Processing, Properties and Industrial Applications, Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, UK, 2009.
- Provis, J.L.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Reaction engineering in metallurgical processing, Ullmann’s Encyclopedia of Industrial Chemistry, 2009, DOI 10.1002/14356007.n22_n01.
- Lloyd, R.R.; Provis, J.L.; Smeaton, K.J.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Spatial distribution of pores in fly ash-based inorganic polymer gels visualised by Wood’s metal intrusion, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, 2009, 126(1-2), 32-39.
- Duxson, P.; Provis, J.L., Designing precursors for geopolymer cements, Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 2008, 91(12), 3864-3869.
- Rees, C.A.; Provis, J.L.; Lukey, G.C.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Attenuated total reflectance Fourier transform infrared analysis of fly ash geopolymer gel ageing, Langmuir, 2007, 23(15), 8170-8179.
- Provis, J.L.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Geopolymerisation kinetics. 2. Reaction kinetic modelling, Chemical Engineering Science, 2007, 62(9), 2318-2329.
- Duxson, P.; Fernández-Jiménez, A.; Provis, J.L.; Lukey, G.C.; Palomo, A,; van Deventer, J.S.J., Geopolymer technology: The current state of the art, Journal of Materials Science, 2007, 42(9), 2917-2933.
- Duxson, P; Provis, J.L.; Lukey, G.C.; Mallicoat, S. W.; Kriven, W.M., van Deventer, J.S.J., Understanding the relationship between geopolymer composition, microstructure and mechanical properties. Colloids and Surfaces A – Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2005, 269 (1-3), 47-58.
- Provis, J.L.; Lukey, G.C.; van Deventer, J.S.J., Do geopolymers actually contain nanocrystalline zeolites? - A reexamination of existing results, Chemistry of Materials, 2005, 17 (12), 3075-3085.
Idawati Ismail (University of Melbourne/University of Malaysia Sarawak)
Alireza Kashani (University of Melbourne)
Sima Mohammadnejad (University of Melbourne)
Rupert Myers (University of Sheffield)
Syet Li Yong (University of Melbourne)
Zhang Zuhua (University of Southern Queensland)