Dr Michael I Ojovan
MSc PhD DSc FRANS MRS SGT
Associate Reader in Materials Science and Waste Immobilisation
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Michael Ojovan joined the Department in 2002 having previously worked more than 20 years at The Moscow Scientific and Industrial Association "Radon", the leading radioactive waste research institution of Russian Federation. He is a Fellow of Russian Academy of Natural Sciences and a Technical Expert of the International Atomic Energy Agency. He is noted for his work on metal matrix immobilisation, powder metal fuels, self-sustaining vitrification, glass composite materials, study of long-term behavior of cementitious, bituminous and glassy wasteforms, glass transition and viscosity of amorphous materials. He has published over 280 peer reviewed scientific papers, 5 book chapters, 14 IAEA documents and has 42 patents. He has published 6 books on nuclear materials including "An introduction to nuclear waste immobilization" by Elsevier 2005.
Main research activities are now involved with:
Structure and properties of amorphous materials, Viscosity, Glass-liquid transition. Crystalline and Glassy materials for nuclear waste immobilisation, Corrosion and long term performance of glasses, Waste processing technologies. Vitrification, Cementitious wasteforms.
Earlier works included:
Pulsed laser deposition of thin semiconducting films. Coherent echo-spectroscopy of aerosol and bubble systems. Metastable and strongly excited systems and condensed Rydberg matter. Diffusion-driven instability of surfaces, electrical and radiation field instability of solids. Percolation effects in poly-dispersed systems. Microstructure of emulsions with discovery of their fractal microstructure.
- Feasibility study of acoustic emission monitoring of waste immobilising materials;
- Radiation damage in glass for acoustic emission analysis;
- Glass composite wasteforms for spent clinoptilolite immobilisation;
- In situ sintering of glass composite materials in deep geological repositories;
- Effects of gamma irradiation on nuclear waste glasses;
- Melting and viscosity of silica soda lime glasses;
- Defect mediated model for glass: viscosity-temperature relationships;
- High-temperature viscosity of melt oxides based on Doremus approach;
- Crystallisation and aqueous durability of nuclear waste glasses;
- Ceramics for actinide immobilisation;
- Cement immobilisation of NORM waste;
- Processing of irradiated graphite.
Professional activities and recognition
- Technical expert, International Atomic Energy Agency, since 1993. http://www.iaea.org
- Member, Materials Research Society, since 1995. http://www.mrs.org
- Fellow, Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, elected in 1996. http://www.raen.ru
- Member of the Editorial Board of “The Open Mineral Processing Journal”, Since 2008 http://www.bentham.org/open/tompj/EBM.htm
- Member of the International Review Board of the “Journal of The Pakistan Materials Society”, since 2008. http://jpms20071.googlepages.com/home
- Member of the Editorial board of the journal "Recent Patents on Corrosion Science", since 2009; http://www.bentham.org/open/rptcs/
- Member, Program Advisory Committee of the International Conference on Thermal Treatment Technologies (IT3), since 1997. http://www.it3.umd.edu
- Member, Program Advisory Committee of the International Waste Management Symposia (WM), since 1998. http://www.wmsym.org
- Member, International Advisory Committee of the International Conference on Nuclear Waste Management and Environmental Remediation (ICEM), since 2001. http://www.icemconf.com
- Member, Society of Glass Technology, since 2003. http://www.societyofglasstechnology.org.uk
- UK Nuclear Technology Education Consortium Core Nuclear Waste processing, Storage and Disposal Module Leader, since 2005. http://www.ntec.ac.uk
- IAEA Chief Scientific Investigator of the CRP on "Behaviours of Cementitious Materials in Multipurpose Packaging for Transportation, Long Term Storage and Disposal", since 2006. http://www.iaea.org/OurWork/ST/NE/NEFW/wts_crp_cement.html
- International Commission on Glass, Member of Technical Committee V on Nuclear and Hazardous Waste Vitrification, since 2006. http://www.icg.group.shef.ac.uk/
Michael has recently edited a book entitled Handbook of advanced radioactive waste conditioning technologies
- Handbook of advanced radioactive waste conditioning technologies
- Ojovan, Michael I. (Ed.)
- 1st Edition, January 2011, 512 pages, 234 x 156mm, hardback
- ISBN-13: 978 1 84569 626 9
- Woodhead Publishing Limited
- M.I. Ojovan, W.E. Lee. Glassy wasteforms for nuclear waste immobilisation. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A, 42 (4), 837-851 (2010).
- M.I. Ojovan, W.E. Lee. Connectivity and glass transition in disordered oxide systems J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 356, 2534-2540 (2010).
- G. Möbus, M. Ojovan, S. Cook, J. Tsai, G. Yang. 'Nano-scale quasi-melting of alkali-borosilicate glasses under electron irradiation'. J. Nucl. Mater., 396 (2-3) 264-271 (2010).
- M.I. Ojovan. 'Viscosity and Glass Transition in Amorphous Oxides', Advances in Condensed Matter Physics, 2008, Article ID 817829, 23 pages (2008).
- L.M. Spasova, M.I. Ojovan. ‘Characterisation of Al corrosion and its impact on the mechanical performance of composite cement wasteforms by the acoustic emission technique’. J. Nucl. Mater., 375, 347-358 (2008).
- J.M. Juoi, M.I. Ojovan, W.E. Lee. ‘Microstructure and leaching durability of glass composite wasteforms for spent clinoptilolite immobilisation’. J. Nucl. Mater., 372, 358-366 (2008).
- M.I. Ojovan, K.P. Travis, R.J. Hand. ‘Thermodynamic parameters of bonds in glassy materials from viscosity-temperature relationships’. J. Phys.: Condensed Matter, 19, 415107, 12p. (2007).
- M.I. Ojovan, W.E. Lee. ‘Topologically disordered systems at the glass transition. J. Phys.: Condensed Matter’, 18, 11507-11520 (2006).
- M.I. Ojovan, A.S. Pankov, W.E. Lee. ‘The ion exchange phase in corrosion of nuclear waste glasses’. J. Nucl. Mater., 358, 57-68 (2006).
- M.I. Ojovan, R.J. Hand, N.V. Ojovan, W.E. Lee. ‘Corrosion of alkali-borosilicate waste glass K-26 in non-saturated conditions’. J. Nucl. Mater. 340, 12-24 (2005).
- M.I. Ojovan, F.G.F. Gibb, P.P. Poluektov, E.P. Emets. ‘Probing of the interior layers of the Earth with self-sinking capsules’. Atomic Energy, 99, 556-562 (2005).
University of Sheffield, UK: UK: F.G.F. Gibb, G.W. Greenwood, G. Möbus, R.J. Hand, K.P. Travis, N.C. Hyatt, H. Kinoshita, M.C. Stennett
Imperial College London, UK: W.E. Lee, A.R. Boccaccini
National Nuclear Laboratory, UK: C. R. Scales. R. Short, H. Godfrey
Scientific and Industrial Association RADON, Russia: S.A. Dmitriev, A.S. Barinov, A.E. Arustamov, O.G. Batyukhnova, O.K. Karlina, K.N. Semenov, G.A. Varlackova, V.L. Klimov
Bochvar´s Institute of Inorganic Materials VNIINM, Russia: P.P. Poluektov, V.A. Kascheev
Khlopin´s Radium Institute, Russia: B.E. Burakov
St. Petersburg State University, Russia: V.L. Stolyarova
Joint Research Centre, European Commission: R. Burcl
University of California, Davis, USA: A. Navrotsky
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, USA: B.P. McGrail, D.H. Bakon, J.D. Vienna, D. Strachan
Savannah River National Laboratory, USA: J. Marra, W. Holtzscheiter, N. Bibler, C. Jantzen
Necsa, South Africa, W. Meyer.