Professor Anthony R West
Professor of Electroceramics and Solid State Chemistry
Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Sir Robert Hadfield Building
Mappin Street, Sheffield, S1 3JD
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 5501
Fax: +44 (0) 114 222 5943
Secretary: Kirsty Fisher
Tony West obtained his BSc degree in Chemistry at University College Swansea and his PhD at the University of Aberdeen, where he worked with Professor F. P. Glasser on silicate chemistry. He was appointed as a Lecturer in Aberdeen in 1971 and developed a lifetime interest in the then-emerging field of solid state chemistry with special interest in the synthesis of new oxide materials, their crystal structures and electrical properties. He was awarded a DSc from Aberdeen in 1984 and rose through the ranks to become Professor of Chemistry in 1989 before moving to the University of Sheffield, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, as Head of Department in 1999, a post he held until 2007.
Tony was founding editor of the Journal of Materials Chemistry and subsequently established the Materials Chemistry Forum,which has now become the Materials Chemistry Division of the Royal Society of Chemistry. He organised the First International Conference on Materials Chemistry, MCI, in Aberdeen, 1993, and co-organised the first Materials Discussion, MDI, in Bordeaux, 1998. He also served as President of the Inorganic Chemistry Division of IUPAC, 2004–2007.
Tony is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry, the Institute of Physics, the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, and the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Over the years he has received several awards, including an Industrial Award in Solid State Chemistry from the RSC (1996), the Griffiths Medal and Prize from the IOM3 (2008), the Epsilon de Oro Award from the Spanish Society of Glass and Ceramics (2007) and the Chemical Record Lectureship from the Chemical Societies of Japan (2009). He has been awarded the 2013 John B. Goodenough Award in Materials Chemistry by the RSC, a lifetime award which recognises exceptional and sustained contributions to the field of materials chemistry.
He has >450 research publications (listed below) and best-selling books on solid state chemistry. He is currently preparing a second edition of 'Solid State Chemistry and its Applications' and a student edition is scheduled for publication in January 2014.
His research is a blend of the Chemistry, Physics and Engineering of Inorganic Materials, especially oxides, which focuses on materials with interesting and/or useful electrical properties, especially ionic conductors, mixed ionic/electronic conductors, semiconductors, ferro- and di-electrics. His research programmes are broadly-based and cover a wide variety of experimental techniques, including:
- Electrical Properties of Stoichiometric BiFeO3 Prepared by Mechanosynthesis with Either Conventional or Spark Plasma Sintering A. Perejón, N. Masó, A. R. West, P. E. Sánchez-Jiménez, R.Poyato, J. M. Criado, L. A. Pérez-Maqueda, DOI: 10.1111/jace.12186
- Semiconductivity in Acceptor-Doped BaTi1−xHoxO3−x/2−δ/2 Y. Liu, A. R. West DOI: 10.1111/jace.12207 (2013)
- Energetics of Donor-Doping, Metal Vacancies, and Oxygen-Loss in A-Site Rare-Earth-Doped BaTiO3 C. L. Freeman, J. A. Dawson, H.-R. Chen, L. Ben, J. H. Harding, F. D. Morrison, D. C. Sinclair, A. R. West DOI: 10.1002/adfm.201203147 (2013)
- Mixed oxide ion and proton conduction and p-type semiconduction in BaTi0.98Ca0.02O2.98 ceramics, Pengrong Ren, Nahum Masó, Yang Liu, Le Ma, Huiqing Fan and Anthony R. West J. Mater. Chem. C, 2013, 1, 2426 (2013)
- Synthesis, Structural Characterization, and Electrical Properties of New Oxygen-Deficient Tetragonal Tungsten Bronzes Ba2NdTi2+xNb3–xO15–x/2, M. Prades, N. Masó, H. Beltrán, E. Cordoncillo, and A. R. West, Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52 (4), pp 1729–1736 dx.doi.org/10.1021/ic301156c
- Non-ohmic phenomena in Mn-doped BaTiO3, Marta Prades, Héctor Beltrán, Eloisa Cordoncillo, Pablo J.Alonso, Nahum Masó, and Anthony R. West, Phys. Status Solidi A 209, No. 11, 2267–2272 (2012)
- Semiconductor-Insulator Transition in Undoped Rutile, TiO2, Ceramics, Yang Liu and Anthony R. West, J.Am. Ceram. Soc., 96  218–222 (2013)
- Synthesis and Characterization of Li11Nd18Fe4O39−δ, Yao-Chang Chen, Nik Reeves-McLaren, Paul A.Bingham, Susan D. Forder, and Anthony R. West, Inorg. Chem., 2012, 51, 8073–808
- Crystal structure determination by combined synchrotron powder X-ray diffraction and crystal structure prediction: 1 : 1 L-ephedrine D-tartrate, Han Wu, Matthew Habgood, Julia E. Parker, Nik Reeves-McLaren,
Jeremy K. Cockcroft, Martin Vickers, Anthony R. West and Alan G. Jones, CrystEngComm, 2013, 15, 1853-1859 DOI:10.1039/C2CE26097B
- The Effect on Cathode Performance of Oxygen Non-Stoichiometry and Interlayer Mixing in Layered Rock Salt LiNi0.8Mn0.1Co0.1O2-δ, M. Sobri Idris and A. R. West, J. Electrochem. Soc., 159  A396-A401 (2012)
- Bismuth Zinc Niobate Pyrochlore, a Relaxor-Like Non-Ferroelectric, Rozana A. M. Osman, Nahum Masó, and Anthony R. West, J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 95  296–302 (2012
- Lithium-Ion Conduction Pathways in Complex Lithium Spinels Li2MGe3O8 (M = Ni or Zn). Nik Reeves-McLaren, Ronald I. Smith and Anthony R. West, Chem. Mater.
- Synthesis, structural characterization and Li+ ion conductivity of a new vanado-molybdate phase, LiMg3VMo2O12 Lisa J. Gillie, Sharon A. de Souza, Denis Sheptyakov, Nik Reeves-McLaren,Denis Pasero,
Anthony R. West J. Solid State Chem doi:10.1016/j.jssc.2010.08.042
- A R West, ‘Inorganic functional materials: Optimization of properties by structural and compositional control’, The Chemical Record, 6, 206-216 (2006).
Publication List (pdf 725kb)