Dr Russell Buchan
Position: Lecturer in International Law
Email Address: R.J.Buchan@sheffield.ac.uk
Telephone: +44 (0)114 222 6769
Room No: EF14a
I am a lecturer in international law at the University of Sheffield School of Law. I am part of the admissions team for the School’s undergraduate programmes.
- PhD, University of Bristol
- LLM (awarded with distinction)
- LLB (Hons)
Teaching and Learning
I teach predominantly in my area of research: public international law. This enables me to teach with enthusiasm and to present to my students my interpretations of international law and, if necessary, how it should be reformed. Importantly, I expect my students to participate in this process; challenging my ideas and interpretations, forcing me to reflect critically upon my research. In light of this expectation, my students are therefore expected to not just understand the law (and its application) but to engage with it normatively; what’s good about the law? What should be maintained? What should be changed? For me, this enables teaching and learning to be as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
The modules I teach are:
|Undergraduate||Postgraduate and MA|
|Foundations of International Law (Convenor)||The Law of International Organisations (Convenor)|
|Advanced Issues in International Law (Convenor)||The Politics of International Law (Joint Convenor)|
|Introduction to Legal Processes||International Criminal Law (Convenor)|
|International Law and the Use of Force (Convenor)|
|International Humanitarian Law (Convenor)|
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Criminal Law
- Cyber War
- Post Conflict Reconstruction
- International Legal and Political Theory
Member of the Sheffield Centre for International and European Law Research Cluster.
Areas of Research Supervision
- International Peace and Security
- International Legal Theory
- Post Conflict Reconstruction
Recent Invited Papers and Keynote Lectures
- R. Buchan, ‘Cyber Technology and Weapons of Mass Destruction’ (August 2012). Paper given at a conference entitled ‘International Law and Cyber War’ at the School of Law, University of Sydney.
- R. Buchan, ‘Transitional Justice Mechanisms and the International Criminal Court’ (April 2012). Paper given at a conference entitled ‘Judicial Conversations: The Role of Judiciaries in Resolving International Conflicts’ at the School of Law, University of Durham.
- R. Buchan, ‘The Cyber Realm as the New Domain of Warfare: The Role of Public International Law’ (April 2012). Paper given as a staff paper at the University of Turku, Finland.
- R. Buchan, ‘Cyber War and International Law: Problems Ahead?’ (April 2012). Paper given as a staff paper at the University of Helsinki, Finland.
- R. Buchan, ‘The International Law of Naval Blockade’ (January 2012). Staff paper given to the School of Law, Universidad de Los Andes (Colombia).
- R. Buchan, ‘The International Criminal Court and Colombia’ (January 2012). Guest lecture given to the School of Law, Universidad de Los Andes (Colombia).
Key Projects and Grants
|Title/Description:||The Responsibility to Protect and Humanity: A Study on the Idea of Human Interconnectedness’|
|Awarding Body:||White Rose Collaboration Fund|
|Awarding Body:||A consortium of 10 academics from Universities across the United Kingdom|
|Years Funded for:||July 2013 - July 2015|
Professional Activities and Recognition
- I sit on the Editorial Board of the Journal of the Use of Force in International Law (Hart Publishing)
- Special Issue Editor of the International Community Law Review (Martinus Nijhoff)
- I sit of the Advisory Board of the International Community Law Review (Martinus Nijhoff)
- I have reviewed numerous articles and book proposals for leading Law Journals and Publishers.
This person does not have any publications available.