Our Relationship with Japan
The University of Sheffield has a long established relationship with Japan and we have been welcoming students here for many decades.
The first known Japanese graduate of Sheffield graduated from us in 1971 and we are delighted you are interested in following that tradition.
The University's Centre for Japanese Studies (CJS) was established in 1963 to establish a centre of excellence in Asian Studies in the North of England; and to move away from the traditional pattern of teaching about East Asia.
Sheffield pioneered the 'dual degree' system by teaching Japanese together with social science and other disciplines. This innovative teaching approach continues today and the CJS is part of the internationally renowned School of East Asian Studies which has an excellent reputation for its teaching and research quality.
The University enjoys excellent links with Japanese universities and we have active student exchange programmes and collaborative research agreements with leading Japanese institutions.
We have been welcoming students from Japan for many decades and are delighted you are interested in following that tradition. We hope the information on these pages will help you with your decision to choose to study at the University of Sheffield.
International Office - Japan Team
The Japan team is here to help you and our role includes:
- Advice and counselling to you and your parents on all aspects of study in Sheffield including courses, tuition fees and available scholarships and making an application to study with us;
- Information and practical details about living in Sheffield including finding somewhere to live, how to get here and what happens when you arrive;
- Answering your questions about the city of Sheffield and student life here
- Possible opportunity to meet a member of staff when they visit Japan to get information and advice on your application to Sheffield
- Pre-departure briefings before you leave Japan to give you the chance to make plans to come here and meet other new students from Japan who will be coming to study with you in Sheffield.
You may have already met us during one of the many overseas visits we make to Japan throughout the year. If you haven't met us yet, then we hope you will.
NCUK and The University of Sheffield
The University of Sheffield welcomes NCUK students from all over the world, including Japan. Find out more about NCUK and the University of Sheffield on our NCUK web pages here.
Questions for us?
Please contact us with any questions you have about living and studying in Sheffield.
You can also read more about life in Sheffield on our Japanese International Office Ambassadors blog.