Dr Peter Peachell BSc PhD
Senior Lecturer in Pharmacology
Academic Unit of Respiratory Medicine
Department of Infection and Immunity
The University of Sheffield Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Sheffield S10 2RX
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 2063
Fax: +44 (0)114 226 8898
Secretary - Mrs Jenny Earl
Tel: +44 (0)114 226 1458
Before coming to the University of Sheffield, I obtained a First Class Honours degree in Chemistry (University College London), a PhD in Biological Chemistry (University College London) and a post-doctoral fellowship in Clinical Immunology (Johns Hopkins Medical School). I joined the University of Sheffield in 1992 as a Lecturer in Pharmacology and have been a Senior Lecturer since 2003, and over this period I have developed a strong research interest linked to the study of allergic mechanisms largely in the context of asthma. In particular, research in the laboratory has been focused on the pharmacological regulation of human lung mast cells. Research in the laboratory is funded by industrial sponsors (Pfizer, Novartis) and charitable trusts (Asthma UK).
- Regulation of human lung mast cell responses by the beta-2-adrenoceptor.
- Desensitization of human lung mast cell beta-2-adrenoceptors.
- Pharmacogenetics of beta-2-adrenoceptor expression and function.
- Regulation of mast cell responses by prostanoids.
- Characterization and role of the protein kinase, syk, in human mast cells.
- Characterization of phosphodiesterases in human mast cells and basophils.
- Medicinal chemistry
- Role of protein tyrosine kinases (syk) and protein phosphatases (SHIP, PTEN) in regulating mast cell releasability.
- Characterization of the receptor that mediates the inhibitory effects of prostaglandin E2 on mast cells.
- Investigating the effects of long-acting beta agonists on mast cells.
- Modulation of eicosanoid biosynthesis from mast cells.
- Characterization of immune receptors expressed by mast cells.
- Characterization of lung macrophage heterogeneity.
- Regulation of human lung mast cell responses by the beta2-adrenoceptor
- Desensitization of human lung mast cell beta2-adrenoceptors
- Pharmacogenetics of beta2-adrenoceptor expression and function
- Characterization of phosphodiesterases in human mast cells and basophils
- Characterizaton and role of protein phosphatases in human mast cells and basophils
For Key Publications see below. For a full list of publications click here.
- Scola AM, Loxham M, Charlton SJ & Peachell PT (2009) The long-acting beta-adrenoceptor agonist, indacaterol, inhibits IgE-dependent responses of human lung mast cells.. Br J Pharmacol, 158(1), 267-276.
- Harrison CA, Bastan R, Peirce MJ, Munday MR & Peachell PT (2007) Role of calcineurin in the regulation of human lung mast cell and basophil function by cyclosporine and FK506.. Br J Pharmacol, 150(4), 509-518.
- Kay LJ, Rostami-Hodjegan A, Suvarna SK & Peachell PT (2007) Influence of beta2-adrenoceptor gene polymorphisms on beta2-adrenoceptor-mediated responses in human lung mast cells.. Br J Pharmacol, 152(3), 323-331.
- Kay LJ, Yeo WW & Peachell PT (2006) Prostaglandin E2 activates EP2 receptors to inhibit human lung mast cell degranulation.. Br J Pharmacol, 147(7), 707-713.
- Peachell P (2005) Targeting the mast cell in asthma.. Curr Opin Pharmacol, 5(3), 251-256.
- Eskandari N, Wickramasinghe T & Peachell PT (2004) Effects of phosphodiesterase inhibitors on interleukin-4 and interleukin-13 generation from human basophils.. Br J Pharmacol, 142(8), 1265-1272.
- Scola AM, Chong LK, Chess-Williams R & Peachell PT (2004) Influence of agonist intrinsic activity on the desensitisation of beta2-adrenoceptor-mediated responses in mast cells.. Br J Pharmacol, 143(1), 71-80.
- Bastan R, Peirce MJ & Peachell PT (2001) Regulation of immunoglobulin E-mediated secretion by protein phosphatases in human basophils and mast cells of skin and lung.. Eur J Pharmacol, 430(1), 135-141.
- Chong LK, Chowdry J, Ghahramani P & Peachell PT (2000) Influence of genetic polymorphisms in the beta2-adrenoceptor on desensitization in human lung mast cells.. Pharmacogenetics, 10(2), 153-162.
- Scola A, Chong LK & Peachell PT (2003) Desensitisation of beta(2)-adrenoceptor-mediated responses by salbutamol and salmeterol in human lung mast cells. BRITISH JOURNAL OF PHARMACOLOGY, Vol. 138 (pp U68-U68)