Dr Munitta Muthana, BSc Hon., PhD
Academic Unit of Rheumatology
Department of Infection and Immunity
The University of Sheffield Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Sheffield S10 2RX
Telephone: +44 (0)114 226 5852
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 3892
I joined The University of Sheffield in 2002 as post-doctoral scientist in the Immunobiology Research Unit. From 2005 I held a research position in the Tumour Targeting Group where I was awarded funding as an independent researcher from the Prostate Cancer Charity (2007) and the Medical Research Council (2010). I was recently appointed as a non-clinical lecturer in the Academic Unit of Rheumatology in the medical school in 2011.
The rheuematoid joint consists of an abundant inflammatory cell infiltrate, which is known to exacerbate disease. My research interests include understanding the role of immune cells in the rheumatoid synovium and developing novel approaches for targeting gene therapies to the rheumatoid joint.
I am a member of the European Macrophage and Dendritic Cell Society and British Society of Immunology.
- Characterisation of infiltrating subsets of monocytes/macrophages in rheumatoid arthritis
- Targeting gene therapy to diseased tissues using nanomagnet technology
- Combination therapies to target prostate tumours
- Muthana M, Giannoudis A, Scott SD, Fang HY, Coffelt SB, Morrow FJ, Murdoch C, Burton J, Cross N, Burke B, Mistry R, Hamdy F, Brown NJ, Georgopoulos L, Hoskin P, Essand M, Lewis CE, Maitland NJ (2011). Engineered macrophages synthesize recombinant adenoviruses in hypoxic areas of prostate tumors. Cancer Research. 1;71(5):1805-15
- Coffelt SB, Chen Y, Muthana M, Welford AF, Tal AO, Scholz A, Plate KH, Reiss Y, Murdoch C, De Palma M, Lewis CE (2011). Angiopoietin-2-stimulated TIE2-expressing monocytes suppress T cell activation and promote regulatory T cell expansion. Journal of Immunology. 186(7):4183-90.
- Muthana M, Pockley G, Multhoff G (2010). Tumour infiltrating host cells and their significance for hyperthermia. Int. J. Hyperthermia. 26(3):247-255.
- Murdoch C, Muthana M, Coffelt S, Lewis CE (2008). Multifaceted Role of Myeloid Cells in Tumour Angiogenesis. Nat. Rev. Cancer. 8(8):618-31.
- Muthana M, Scott S, Farrow N, Murdoch C, Grubb S, Dobson J, Lewis C (2008). Development of a novel cell-based assay using magnetic nanoparticle-loaded monocytes to deliver genes to tumours. Gene Therapy. 15(12):902-10.