Dr Richmond Muimo PhD
Department of Infection and Immunity
Academic Unit of Respiratory Medicine
The University of Sheffield Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 226 1113
Fax: +44 (0)114 226 8898
Secretary - Ms Pauline Whitaker
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 2027
After completing my PhD at the University of Leeds in 1993, I took up a post as a PostDoctoral Researcher. In 1993 I became a Research Fellow at Dundee University where I went on to become a Lecturer in 2001. I joined The University of Sheffield in 2003 where I continue to work as a Lecturer.
I am focused on understanding the mechanisms that regulate ion transport in secretory epithelia, particularly in relation to cystic fibrosis. I have identified a number of CFTR-associated proteins that are involved in regulating ion channel function.
Over the past few years my interests have expanded into understanding the role of CFTR-associated proteins in neutrophil function and inflammation.
My teaching interests lie in aspects of membrane biology and invertebrate model systems which I teach on the MBChB and MSc in Molecular Medicine, respectively.
Biochemical Society, European Calcium Society and American Society For Cell Biology.
- Application of stable analogues of phosphohistidine to the study of cell signaling pathways.
- Nucleoside diphosphate kinase (NDPK) regulates CFTR function.
- Roles of NDPK in neutrophilic inflammation.
- Borthwick LA, Riemen C, Goddard C, Colledge WH, Mehta A, Gerke V, Muimo R. (2008) Defective formation of PKA/CnA-dependent annexin 2-S100A10/CFTR complex in deltaF508 CF cells. Cell Signal Feb 5; Jun;20(6):1073-83.
- Borthwick LA, Neal A, Hobson L, Gerke V, Robson L, Muimo R. (2008) The annexin 2-S100A10 complex and its association with TRPV6 is regulated by cAMP/PKA/CnA in airway and gut epithelia. Cell Calcium. Aug;44(2):147-57. Epub 2008 Jan 9.
- Borthwick LA, McGaw J, Conner G, Taylor CJ, Gerke V, Mehta A, Robson L, Muimo R. (2007) The Formation of the cAMP/PKA-dependent Annexin 2-S100A10 Complex with CFTR Regulates CFTR Channel Function. Mol Biol Cell. 18(9):3388-97.
- Muimo R, Crawford RM, Mehta A. (2006) Nucleoside diphosphate kinase A as a controller of AMP-kinase in airway epithelia. J Bioenerg Biomembr. 2006 Aug;38(3-4):181-7.
- Muimo R, Hornickova Z., Riemen C.E., Gerke V., Matthews H.R and A. Mehta (2000) Histidine phosphorylation of annexin I in airway epithelia. J Biol. Chem. 275(47): 36632-36636.