Dr Francesco S di Giovine
Senior Lecturer in Molecular Medicine
Department of Infection and Immunity
Henry Wellcome Laboratories for Medical Research
The University of Sheffield Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44(0) 114 271 2638
Fax: +44(0) 114 226 8898
Secretary - Ms Jean Lazenby
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 2237
I graduated in Medicine in the University of Florence (Italy) in 1982, and then entered Internal Medicine training. I was then a PhD student in the University of Edinburgj, where I gained a Ph.D (1988) in the Molecular Immunology Group, directed by Prof. Sir. Gordon W. Duff. Thesis title: The role of pro-inflammatory cytokines in Rheumatoid Arthritis (TNF and IL-1).
After a two years post-doctoral experience, in 1990 I was appointed Lecturer in the University of Sheffield and later Senior Lecturer. In year 2000 I have had a sabbatical experience in Prof. Phil Ingham´s lab, studying conditional transgenesis in zebrafish. Since year 2001 I have been the Director of the Genomic Facilities in this Faculty.
In the past I have worked on the biology, molecular biology and genetics of IL-1 and TNF in diseases. We first reported the presence of bioactive TNF in Rheumatoid joints in 1986 , and first reported a cytokine gene polymorphism in 1990. Our work pioneered the field of cytokine genetics, and established important genetic associations between IL-1 and TNF gene variants and several important inflammatory diseases. Of particular interests, we have reported association and/or linkage between the IL-1 gene cluster and periodontal disease, cardiovascular disease, asthma, and R.A. I am consequently a co-inventor of several international patents, based on clinical use of the predictive value of these haplotypes.
My research interests now lay mainly in three areas:
• Long-range mechanisms involved IL-1 locus co-regulation
• Functional implications of IL-1 locus variations.
• Novel technologies for allelic discrimination.
We have recently proved that Il-1 genes on chromosome 2 come in physical proximity during macrophage stimulation. We have identified putative Locus Control regions and will soon be testing locus function and possible epigenetic influence on activation.
I teach biochemistry to medical undergraduates, and human genetic diseases, cytokine biology and high-throughput technology to our graduate students.
- di Giovine FS, Malawista SE, Nuki G, Duff GW (1987) "Interleukin 1 (IL-1) as a mediator of crystal arthritis Stimulation of T cell and synovial fibroblast mitogenesis by urate crystal-induced IL-1" J. IMMUNOL., 138 (10): 3213-3218.
- di Giovine FS, Nuki G, Duff GW (1988) "Tumor necrosis factor in synovial exudates" ANN RHEUM DIS, 47: 768-772.
- Symons JA, Wood NC, di Giovine FS, Duff GW (1988) "Soluble interleukin 2 receptor in rheumatoid arthritis: correlation with disease activity and interleukin 2 inhibition" J IMMUNOL, 141: 2612-2618.
- Eastgate JA, Symons JA, Wood NC, Grinlinton FM, di Giovine FS, Duff GW (1988)"Correlation of plasma interleukin 1 with disease activity in rheumatoid arthritis" LANCET, i, 706-709.
- di Giovine FS, Duff GW (1990) "Interleukin 1: the first interleukin" (Review) IMMUNOL TODAY, 11:13-20.
- di Giovine, FS, Malawista, SE, Thornton, E, Duff, GW (1991) "Urate crystals stimulate -production of Tumour Necrosis Factor Alpha from human blood monocytes and synovial cells Cytokine mRNA and Protein kinetics, and cellular distribution" J. CLIN. INV., 87: 1375-1381.
- di Giovine, FS, Takhsh, E, Blakemore, AIF, Duff GW (1992) "Single base polymorphism at -511 in the human Interleukin 1 beta gene" HUMAN MOL. GENETICS, 1, 450.
- Wilson A G, de Vries,N., Pociot F, di Giovine F S, Van de Putte L., Duff G W (1993) "An allelic polymorphism within the human necrosis factor alphas promoter region is strongly associated with HLA A1, B8, and Dr3 alleles" J. EXP. MED, 177, 557.
- di Giovine, FS, Bailly S., Bootman J., Almond N., Duff, GW (1994) "Absence of lentiviral and HTLV sequences in patients with rheumatoid arthritis" ARTHRITIS RHEUM., 37, 349-358.
- Cox, A., Camp, NJ, Nicklin, MJH, di Giovine, FS, Duff, GW, (1998) "An analysis of linkage disequilibrium in the Interleukin-1 gene cluster, using a novel grouping method for multiallelic markers" AM. J. HUM. GENET. 62: 1180-1188.
- Korman, KS, di Giovine, FS (1998) (Review) "Genetic Variations In Cytokine Expression: A Risk Factor For Severity Of Adult Periodontitis" ANNALS PERIODONTOL, 3: 327-338.
- Tazi-Ahnini R, Camp J.C., Cork, M.J., Mee J.B., Duff, G.W. , di Giovine, FS (1999) "Novel Genetic Association between the Corneodesmosin (MHC S) Gene and susceptibility to Psoriasis" HUM. MOL. GEN. 8, 1135-1140.
- Salvarani, C, Boiardi, L, Timms, JM, Silvestri, T., Ranzi, A., Macchioni, PL, Pulsatelli, L., di Giovine, FS (2000) "Absence of the association with CC chemokine receptor 5 polymorphism in Polymialgia Rheumatica" CLIN. EXP. RHEUMATOLOGY 18, 591-5.
- Colasante A., Aiello FB, Brunetti M, di Giovine FS (2003). "Gene expression of TGF beta receptors I and II in non-small-cell lung tumours" CYTOKINE 24, 182-189.
- Carter MJ., Jones S, Camp NJ, Cox A. Mee J, Warren B, Duff GW, di Giovine FS (2004). "Functional Correlates Of The Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Gene Polymorphism In The Colonic Mucosa In Ulcerative Colitis" GENES AND IMMUNITY, 5, 8-15.
- Camp NJ, Cox A, di Giovine FS, McCabe D, Rich W, Duff GW. (2005) "Evidence of a pharmacogenomic response to interleukin-l receptor antagonist in rheumatoid arthritis." GENES AND IMMUNITY, 6, 467-471.