Dr David Buttle BSc PhD
Reader in Matrix Biology
Academic Unit of Rheumatology
Department of Infection and Immunity
The University of Sheffield Medical School
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 3164
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 3892
Secretary - Paula Blackwell
Tel: +44 (0)114 226 1426
I began my career as a Research Fellow at Shriners Burns Institute & Department of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, U.S.A. in 1978. From 1982 I held research posts in the Department of Biochemistry, Strangeways Research Laboratory, following which I became a post-doctoral Research Fellow with the Arthritis & Rheumatism Council. In 1993 I was appointed to a Senior Lecturer post at The University of Sheffield Medical School then as Reader in Matrix Biology in 2000.
My major interest is in proteolytic enzymes and extracellular matrix turnover, with principal funding from Arthritis Research UK, The Wellcome Trust and the Dunhill Medical Trust.
I am a member of the following Learned Societies:
- The Biochemical Society
- British Society for Matrix Biology (formerly British Connective Tissue Society)
- International Proteolysis Society (formerly International Committee on Proteolysis)
- Glycosaminoglycans as modifiers of protein localisation and function
- Developing new aids for cartilage regeneration
- Proteoglycans – Functions and Turnover
- Developing plant cysteine proteinases as anthelmintics
- ADAMTS proteinases in cancer progression
- Mansur F, Luoga W, Buttle DJ, Duce IR Lowe A, Behnke JM (2014) The anthelmintic efficacy of natural plant cysteine proteinases against two rodent cestodes Hymenolepis diminuta and Hymenolepis microstoma in vitro. Vet Parasitol. In press.
- Luoga W, Mansur F, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Garnett MC, Lowe A, Behnke JM. The relative anthelmintic efficacy of plant-derived cysteine proteinases on intestinal nematodes. J Helminthol. In press.
- Phiri A, De Pomerai D, Buttle DJ, Behnke J. Developing a rapid throughput screen for the detection of nematicidal activity of plant cysteine proteinases: the role of Caenorhabditis elegans cystatins. Parasitology. In press.
- Hsu Y-P, Staton CA, Cross N, Buttle DJ. (2012) Anti-angiogenic properties of ADAMTS-4, in vitro. Int J Exp Pathol 93:70-77.
- Robinson DE, Buttle DJ, Short RD, McArthur SL, Steele DA, Whittle JD. (2012) Glycosaminoglycan (GAG) binding surfaces for characterizing GAG-protein interactions. Biomaterials 33:1007-1016.
- Luoga W, Mansur F, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Garnett MC, Behnke J. (2011) The anthelmintic efficacy of papaya latex in a rodent model is not dependent on fasting before treatment. J Helminthol 86:311-316.
- Buttle DJ, Behnke JM, Bartley Y, Elsheikha HM, Bartley DJ, Garnett MC, Donnan AA, Jackson F, Lowe A, Duce IR. (2011) Oral dosing with papaya latex is an effective anthelmintic treatment for sheep infected with Haemonchus contortus. Parasites Vectors 4:36.
- Molokwu CN, Adeniji OO, Chandrasekharan S, Hamdy FC, Buttle DJ. (2010). Androgen regulates ADAMTS15 gene expression in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Invest 28:698-710.
- Jansen IDC, Hollander AP, Buttle DJ, Everts V. (2010). Type II and VI collagen in nasal and articular cartilage and the effect of IL-1α on the distribution of these collagens. J Mol Hist 41:9-17.
- Robinson DE, Buttle DJ, Whittle JD, Parry KL, Short RD, Steele DA. (2010). The substrate and composition dependence of plasma polymer stability. Plasma Processes Polymers 7:102-106.
- Marson A, Robinson DE, Brookes PN, Mulloy B, Wiles M, Clark SJ, Fielder HL, Collinson LJ, Cain SA, Kielty CM, McArthur S, Buttle DJ, Short RD, Whittle JD, Day AJ. (2009). Development of a microtiter plate-based glycosaminoglycan array for the investigation of glycosaminoglycan-protein interactions. Glycobiology 19:1537-1546.
- Reid MJ, Cross AK, Haddock G, Allan SM, Stock CJ, Woodroofe MN, Buttle DJ, Bunning RAD. (2009) ADAMTS-9 expression is up-regulated following transient middle cerebral artery occlusion (tMCAo) in the rat. Neurosci Lett 452:252-257.
- Pockert AJ, Richardson SM, Le Maitre CL, Lyon M, Deakin JA, Buttle DJ, Freemont AJ, Hoyland JA. (2009) Modified expression of the ADAMTS enzymes and tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 3 during human intervertebral disc degeneration. Arthritis Rheum 60:482-491.
- Marriott HM, Jackson LE, Wilkinson TS, Simpson AJ, Mitchell TJ, Buttle DJ, Cross SS, Ince PG, Hellewell PG, Whyte MKB, Dockrell DH. (2008) Reactive oxygen species regulate neutrophil recruitment and survival in pneumococcal pneumonia. Am J Crit Care Med 177:887-895.
- Prince LR, Bianchi SM, Vaughan KM, Bewley MA, Marriott HM, Walmsley SR, Taylor GW, Buttle DJ, Sabroe I, Dockrell DH, Whyte MKB. (2008) Subversion of a lysosomal pathway regulating neutrophil aoptosis by a major bacterial toxin, pyocyanin. J Immunol 180:3502-3511.
- Robinson DE, Marson A, Short RD, Buttle DJ, Day AJ, Parry K, Wiles M, Highfield P, Mistry A, Whittle J. (2008) Surface gradient of functional heparin. Advanced Materials 20:1166-1169.
- Haddock G, Cross AK, Allan S, Sharrack B, Callaghan J, Bunning RAD, Buttle DJ, Woodroofe MN. (2007) Brevican and phosphacan expression and localization following transient middle cerebral artery occlusion in the rat. Biochem Soc Trans 35:692-694.
- Le Maitre CL, Pockert A, Buttle DJ, Freemont AJ, Hoyland JA. (2007) Matrix synthesis and degradation in human intervertebral disc degeneration. Biochem Soc Trans 35:652-655.
- Stepek G, Curtis RHC, Kerry BR, Shewry PR, Clark SJ, Lowe AE, Duce IR, Buttle DJ, Behnke JM. (2007) Nematicidal effects of cysteine proteinases against sedentary plant parasitic nematodes. Parasitology 134:1831-1838.
- Stepek G, Lowe AE, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Behnke JM. (2007) The anthelmintic efficacy of plant-derived cysteine proteinases against the rodent gastrointestinal nematode, Heligmosomoides polygyrus, in vivo. Parasitology 134:1409-1419.
- Stepek G, Lowe AE, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Behnke JM. In vitro anthelmintic effects of cysteine proteinases from plants against intestinal helminths of rodents. J Helminthol 81:353-360.
- Stepek G, Lowe AE, Buttle DJ, Duce IR, Behnke JM. Anthelmintic action of plant cysteine proteinases against the rodent stomach nematode, Protospirura muricola, in vitro and in vivo. Parasitology 134:103-112.