The HRI's formal mission is:
- To promote and champion the significance and excellence of arts and humanities research conducted at the University of Sheffield.
- To encourage and support the full range of research in the arts and humanities, with particular emphasis on research which is innovative, interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary.
- To encourage and explore, through HRI Digital, the application of digital technology to humanities research as both a method of inquiry and a means of dissemination.
- To provide the intellectual environment and physical infrastructure necessary to encourage and support grant-funded research directed by research practitioners in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities.
- To assemble and nurture the collaborative networks at a local, national and international level that are necessary for the pursuit of research and meeting the strategic priorities of external funders.
- To maximise opportunities for knowledge transfer and develop new audiences for the outputs of humanities research.