What is helpU?
helpU is a means for all staff and their immediate families to access practical help, information, advice, support and counselling to address and resolve problems and issues they may be facing at home or at work. The service is free, independent, confidential and available 24 hours a day.
The freephone number for helpU is 0800 068 6729.
helpU is provided by an independent external provider, AXA, and is staffed by fully qualified counsellors. The service is completely free to you, and is totally confidential. You can call helpU as often as you need to, at any time of day or night.
Why would I use helpU?
You can use helpU to seek practical help, advice, information and support to help you address and resolve problems and issues you may be facing at home or at work. helpU also includes a full, telephone based counselling service.
helpU can help provide answers to the difficult questions you may be facing, such as:
- My daughter needs some emergency childcare - what do I do?
- I'm worried about my debts - who can I speak to?
- My neighbour is disputing our boundary - what do I do?
- A shop won't exchange faulty goods - what can I do?
- My son is being bullied at school - what do I do?
- I want to buy a house - what do I do?
- I need to write a will - what do I do?
- I'm under a lot of stress - who can help?
- I need to arrange care for an elderly relative - what do I do?
helpU can help you with a wide range of problems and issues, for example:
- Financial – organising your finances, dealing with debt, budgeting, investments, taxes
- Relationships – family, work, partners, friends
- Family care – finding childcare, schooling, parenting issues, elderly care
- Housing - house purchases, mortgages, renting, insurance
- Legal – wills, consumer issues, insurance claims, road traffic accidents
- Work – stress, harassment, career matters, employment law
This isn't an exhaustive list, helpU is there for you to use, whatever problem or issue you may be facing, no matter how big or small.
How can I access helpU?
The freephone number for helpU is 0800 068 6729, and is staffed by fully qualified counsellors 24 hours a day.
You can also access the ICASxtra website, which supports the helpU service. The ICASxtra site provides easy, fast and confidential access to information and resources to help you. The login details for the website are available from the link on the right side of this page (access restricted to University staff).