You should collect and return your academic outfit as shown below. Please note that only graduands can be accommodated in the robing venue.
Please ensure that you allow plenty of time as you must be in your seat in the hall at least 40 minutes prior to the start of the ceremony.
The robing venue will remain open for returns until 8.15pm on Thursday 10 January and 5.45pm on Friday 11 January, unless you have made arrangements to keep them for longer.
Winter Graduation Ceremonies, January 2013 - Robing Timetable
Academic outfits for the different levels of award are as follows:
- Bachelors degrees - black cloth mortar board; black gown (bell sleeves); green cloth hood trimmed with artificial fur, edged with faculty colour.
- Postgraduate Diploma/PGCE - black cloth mortar board; black gown (bell sleeves); green hood edged with faculty colour.
- Masters degrees - black cloth mortar board; black gown (long narrow sleeves); green silk hood lined with faculty colour.
- PhDs (Doctorates)- black velvet mortar board; red gown (bell sleeves) edged in green; red hood lined in green. This outfit applies to all faculties.
- Doctorates, eg LittD - black velvet mortar board; red gown (elongated sleeves) edged and trimmed in green; red hood lined with faculty colour.
When putting on your mortar board (academic cap) look inside for the label. When the writing on the label is the right way up, put on the cap. If you put in on with the writing upside down, the cap will be back to front. (The longer part of the cap should be at the back of the head.) The cap should sit squarely on top of your head with the tassel over your left eye.