Message from the President
For all potential or new students - you have so much to look forward to! For all present students I hope exams went well and that results/graduation reflected the hard work you've put into your degree!
Last year was arguably GeogSoc's best year yet! The Geography Society at the University of Sheffield offers a wide range of social events, opportunities to volunteer and fundraise, the chance to strengthen employable skills and careers advice. Not only this GeogSoc acts as its own inclusive community helping students feel comfortable and fit into university life.
The success of GeogSoc has been recognised not only by members but also by the University and Societies Committee; at the Activities Awards amongst over 200 societies GeogSoc was awarded Best Departmental Society as well as the highly prestigious Society of the Year Award!
This success has put a small amount of pressure on the new committee to further improve the society and the experience of members, but I can assure the GeogSoc committee 2012/13 are dedicated to achieving this.
If you haven't already, please also make sure you join our Facebook group
I hope you will support us this year and we, as a committee, will do our best to make this year even better than any other. If you have any suggests, please feel free to get in contact with me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sian Parkinson, President 2012/13
Study Geography at Sheffield
Maybe thinking about being a student here in Sheffield in the future? Come along to our Departmental Open Days and see what excellent courses we have and the committee will also be around for you to talk to, so you can hear about all the amazing things we get up to in Sheffield and that will hopefully be enough to make you join us here in the future!
Here are a few reasons why you should join GeogSoc:
- We have brilliant social nights out in Sheffield throughout the year. First on the calendar is the Colouring-In Social, THE social night of the year, attended by 380 people in 2012!
- We will also will be organising Day Trips and non-alcoholic events to places like the Peak District, Roller Disco and Sheffield United!
- This year, GeogSoc organised the first apprentice competition that gave participants the chance to win a four-week paid internship at the Geographical Association! It raised over £2,500 for charity and has been a massive success and we are hoping to rerun this again in the coming year!
- Members save throughout the year compared with the standard cost of our socials for non-members throughout the year
- There are lots of different sports teams that we subsidise and set up every year
- The annual GeogSoc Big Weekend Away that has got bigger and better every year. In 2012 we took 192 people to Berlin, the destination of the 2013 trips hasn’t yet been finalised, but the plans are looking like the trip will definitely be a new and exciting experience for everyone!
- Vodka Revolutions is our official sponsor and this allows are members to receive exclusive discounts on food and drinks throughout the year. This year the committee has enlisted an additional two sponsors - the Star and Garter pub and Embrace club so stuff will be even cheaper!
- In 2012 Mandarin lessens were offered to members, we are hoping to rerun this plus add a session of sign language classes!
- We have a GeogDog!! - Nan. Now she isn’t the most beautiful of beasts but it's what’s on the inside! Nan is a rescue dog and the Society organises and funds transport to visit her with the chance to walk her or her fellow canines.
- Being a member of GeogSoc brings everyone doing Geography closer together, making us some of the most sociable and outgoing students in the University.
Your GeogSoc Committee 2012/13
President – Sian Parkinson
Vice President & General Secretary – George Barrett
Treasurer – Chris Willman
Activities and Inclusion Officer – Matt Hussey
Academics and Careers Officer- Sam Wormald
Social Secretaries – Hannah Long, Jack Wyse & Martha Tewkesbury
Sports Secretaries – Emily Barnard & Andy Forsyth
Charity & Volunteering Secretary – Sarah Plumb
Second Year Representative – Dom Ader
Football Captain – Luke Liddle
Official Society Sponsor: Vodka Revolution, West Street
This year one of the best and most popular bars in Sheffield will be sponsoring us. VodkaRevs will be giving us great discounts on food and drinks everyday of the week throughout the year, and also providing facilities for our socials. All members will be issued with a Vodka Revs Society Card which will enable you to receive discounts. If you haven't already got your Vodka Revs GeogSoc card, email us so we can get it to you.
Additional Sponsors: Star and Garter (pub), Embrace (Club)
GeogSoc Charities 2012/13
This year all our charity and fundraising will be going towards supporting local Sheffield and Alumni charities: Joseph Foote Trust and Edale Mountain Rescue.
We will also be supporting the work done by the department and students in West Pokot, Kenya. The Geography Department every year runs annual fieldclasses to West Pokot, Kenya for Third Year Undergraduates, MA International Development and MPH students. Sparked by the slow progress of the construction of a new health clinic in one of the local villages, Tikit, some students have decided to raise money as a way of 'giving something back' to those communities who partake in research for the students year-on-year, and GeogSoc would like to help support this. Money will be channelled through and distributed for projects in Marich, Mbara and Tikit by the Marich Pass Field Studies Centre.
Last year, students arranged a 'West Pokot Week' and with students who are going on this year's trip, we hope to encourage and raise lots of money for this important cause. We would love to hear any ideas, however small, in order to raise as much money as we can throughout the year.
GeogSoc's Big Weekend Away 2013
To be confirmed!! Make sure you're following us on Facebook to keep up-to-date.
GeogSoc Sports Teams
We have had a massive turn out this year, with 5 football teams, 2 netball teams, 1 hockey team and badminton/tennis box leagues.
Follow our Sports Teams on Facebook:
Volunteering in the local community
This year we will be promoting members to get involved and volunteer to help us give something back to the local community. We all love Sheffield and this can be a little gesture of giving something back. Employers are also looking for candidates that stand out from the rest and have done something different to the rest, so this could be your opportunity.
GeogSoc have sponsored a dog at Sheffield Dog Rescue. Poor Nan was found tied up outside the rescue in the middle of the night in May 2010! Since then she has had an operation, but she is now settled in and gained some weight.
Nan has been popular with everyone, and anyone can walk her and the other dogs at Sheffield Dog Rescue. Just contact them a few days in advance so they can get a few details off you!! Additionally, whoever walks her the most will receive a free place to the ball!