Information on these pages is intended to provide staff with background information and further guidance on the Act and how it is being implemented. It also points to useful external advice and guidance where applicable. It provides information on the implementation of the Act, how certain areas of the Act are being interpreted, and how departments can apply guidance and advice at a practical level.
Implementation of good record keeping practices is crucial to successful implementation of the Act. Through our Records Management website we provide best practice guidance and advice for departments.
email : Contact the FOI Unit
- Staff guidance on the Freedom of Information Act
- What should members of staff do when a request for information is received?
- Who can make a Freedom of Information request?
- When is information covered by the Freedom of Information Act?
- What makes a valid request?
- What are the timescales for responding to a request for information?
- What if we are unsure what’s being asked for?
- In what format should information be provided?
- When can we refuse a request?
- Can we refuse a request on the grounds of cost?
- Advice and Assistance
- Destruction of information requested