Faculty Peer Mentor Scheme
We hope you’re excited and looking forward to joining us in Sheffield. You may also be a little unsure what to expect over the next few months or what postgraduate research will be like. Do you feel like you may benefit from some helpful tips from someone who’s already here?
To tell you what postgraduate research and life in Sheffield will be really like, the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health has a Postgraduate Research Student Mentors scheme.
A PGR Mentor:
- Will ensure to make your start as a postgraduate student at the University a great one
- Are current students who not so long ago were in the same position as yourself
- Knows what it’s like to live in Sheffield and settle into a new environment
- Will know what will be expected of you in your first year
- Is likely to be studying in the same Department as you
What our current Mentees say about the scheme:
- I thought having a mentor was really helpful. I had felt quite isolated at the start of my PhD but having someone to talk to really made me feel part of something.
- It was really nice to see a friendly face around the lab and know you have someone impartial to talk to if you have any issues. I've also found it good to have someone to ask the questions to that I'm scared of asking my supervisor in case I seem stupid!