Introduction from Professor Mike Hounslow
Welcome to the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Sheffield.
We are one of the biggest and best engineering faculties in the UK. Independent assessments of our research excellence confirm more than two thirds of our research to be either internationally excellent or world leading.
Our expertise is extensive – our seven academic departments and two interdisciplinary programme areas cover all the engineering disciplines. They are leaders in their fields and they are outstanding contributors to the development of new knowledge and linking their research to the teaching of the engineers of the future.
We have already experienced great success as a faculty, and we intend to build on that success. Our vision is to compete to be the best engineering faculty in the UK, and to be amongst the best in the world. We will aim to work across the full spectrum of engineering activity, from fundamental science to professional practice, and we will contribute fully to ensuring a sustainable future both locally and globally.
Professor Mike Hounslow
Pro Vice-Chancellor for Engineering
Overview of Faculty of Engineering
The faculty of Engineering has:
- Research-led learning and teaching across the breadth of engineering subjects
- 67% of our research rated as 'world leading' or 'internationally excellent'
- An annual turn-over of £105.1m in 2012/13
- A further £16m income from the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre
- Over 3000 students. In 2012, 93% of our graduates expressed satisfaction with their course
- An enviable and growing portfolio of knowledge transfer activities
- Good interdisciplinary links already established, as exemplified by the Aerospace programme, for both teaching and research
The research and teaching comes from the following areas: Aerospace, Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, Bioengineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Civil and Structural Engineering, and Chemical and Biological Engineering.