Professor Sue Vice
BA Cambridge, DPhil Oxford,
I finished my DPhil on Malcolm Lowry´s Under the Volcano in 1988, and worked at the publishers Basil Blackwell before coming to Sheffield in 1989.
More recently I have developed my enthusiasm for cinema-going into teaching film courses, and in 1993 I completed an MA in Film Studies at Sheffield Hallam.
For several years I have taught a course on the films of Alfred Hitchcock, director of my "desert island" film Marnie. I have been interested in representations of the Holocaust for many years, and have developed this into teaching at undergraduate and graduate level, as well as several books on Holocaust literature and film.
I am influenced by the work of Mikhail Bakhtin and my research background is in the work of Malcolm Lowry. This interest has continued in my recent work and teaching, including the publication Malcolm Lowry Eighty Years On (1989).
My publications in the field of literary theory include Psychoanalytic Criticism: A Reader (1996) and Introducing Bakhtin (1997).
I have been interested in representations of the Holocaust for many years, and have published a book on novels about the Holocaust, Holocaust Fiction (2000), one on children´s perspectives, Children Writing the Holocaust (2004), and, with Jenni Adams, have edited a volume entitled Representing Perpetrators in Holocaust Literature and Film (2013).
I welcome applications from PhD students wishing to work in most areas of twentieth- and twenty-first literature, theory and film, including Holocaust studies.
- Malcolm Lowry Eighty Years On, Macmillan, 1989.
- Beyond the Pleasure Dome: Writing and Addiction from the Romantics, Sheffield Academic Press, 1994 (with Matthew Campbell and Tim Armstrong).
- Psychoanalytic Criticism: A Reader, Polity Press, 1996.
- Introducing Bakhtin, Manchester University Press, 1997.
- Holocaust Fiction, Routledge, 2000.
- Representing the Holocaust: Essays in Honour of Bryan Burns, Vallentine Mitchell, 2003.
- Children Writing the Holocaust, Palgrave, 2004.
- Jack Rosenthal, Manchester University Press, 2009.
- Shoah, BFI Modern Film Classics, 2011.
- Representing Perpetrators in Holocaust Literature and Film, Vallentine Mitchell, 2013.