Fiona Gilchrist BDS, MFDS RCPS (Glasg), MClin Dent (Paediatric Dentistry), MPaed Dent (Intercollegiate)
Lecturer in Paediatric Dentistry
Academic Unit of Oral Health and Development
School of Clinical Dentistry
Tel: 0114 2717893
Fax: 0114 2717885
I joined the University in 2007 as a Clinical Lecturer/Honorary Specialist Registrar in Paediatric Dentistry. I completed my specialist training in paediatric dentistry in October 2009
I am undertaking a PhD within the Department of Oral Health and Development. I aim to investigate the impact of dental caries in children using qualitative techniques and to develop a caries specific oral health related quality of life measure.
Previous research has included the investigation of erosion in primary teeth and the use of conscious sedation in children and young people.
I am the course organiser for the 4th BDS paediatric dentistry block course and the 2nd BDS paediatric dentistry subcourse. I also deliver clinical teaching for 3rd-5th BDS students. I am a member of the School of Clinical Dentistry Teaching Committee in my role as Elective Tutor. I am currently completing Module 2 of the Certificate in Learning and Teaching.
- Elective Tutor, School of Clinical Dentistry, University of Sheffield
- Assistant Editor, Clinical Effectiveness Bulletin of the British Society of Paediatric Dentistry
- Committee member, Policy and Clinical Effectiveness Committee, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry
- Council representative, South Yorkshire Branch, British Society of Paediatric Dentistry
- Gilchrist F, Marshman Z, Deery C, Rodd HD. Research Development Capacity Award, NIHR Research Design Service for the East Midlands, January 2009, £9,208.50 over 3 years.
- Rodd HD, Marshman Z, Gilchrist F, Deery C. Evaluation of Children’s Experiences of Dental General Anaesthetic Services in Sheffield. Awarded by NHS Sheffield, £50,000 over 2 years.
Hosey MT, Makin A, Jones RM, Gilchrist F, Carruthers M. Propofol conscious sedation for anxious children referred to a hospital-based paediatric dentistry service: A retrospective study. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2004; 14: 2-8.
Gilchrist F, Whitters CJ, Cairns AM, Simpson MS, Hosey MT. Exposure to nitrous oxide in a paediatric dental unit. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2007; 17: 116-22.
Gilchrist F, Santini A, Harley KE, Deery C. The use of micro-Raman spectroscopy to differentiate between sound and eroded primary enamel. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2007; 17: 274-80.
Gilchrist F, Cairns AM, Leitch JA. The use of intranasal midazolam in the treatment of paediatric dental patients. Anaesthesia 2007; 62: 1262-5.
Yesudian G, Albadri S, Aspinall A, Gilchrist F, Deery C. Appropriate use of antibiotic therapy in paediatric dental patients in three dental hospitals in the North of England. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2010; 20 (s1): 10-11.