Dr. Philip Benson PhD, FDS (Orth)
Reader/Honorary Consultant in Orthodontics
Academic Unit of Oral Health and Development,
School of Clinical Dentistry,
University of Sheffield,
Tel: +44 (0) 114 271 7895
Fax: +44 (0) 114 271 7843
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
I have been at Sheffield since 2000 when I was appointed Senior Lecturer/Honorary Consultant in Orthodontics. Previously I was Lecturer in Orthodontics at Liverpool (1995 until 2000) and Specialist Registrar in Orthodontics at the University of Manchester (1991 and 1994). I was promoted to Reader in 2008.
My research interests are clinical trials of treatment interventions and the validation of quality of life measures in orthodontics. I am the principal or co-author on five systematic reviews examining the evidence for contemporary orthodontic practice published in the Cochrane Library.
I teach at all levels including postgraduate, undergraduate, hygiene and therapy and dental nursing and I am involved in presenting occasional courses to general dental practitioners. I am the Course Director for the Master of Clinical Dentistry in Orthodontics
- Editor-in-Chief Journal of Orthodontics – June 2008 to December 2011
- Editorial Board of Journal of Orthodontics – December 2003 to December 2011.
- Member of the Orthodontic Clinical Services Research Collaboration, a group of active British and Irish researchers - December 2003 to present (secretary March 2004 to present)
- External Examiner for the Master in Science (Orthodontics), UCL University of London – September 2009 to September 2012.
- Treasurer of the University Teachers Group of the British Orthodontic Society September 2007 to December 2011.
- Examiner for the Membership in Orthodontics from the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh June 2008 to present
- A longitudinal investigation of the relationships between oral health-related quality of life and malocclusion in a sample of schoolchildren (BOSF – Sept 2005).
- A multi-centre, randomised, clinical trial comparing resin-modified glass ionomer or composite for orthodontic bonding (Funding SHCT – May 2007).
- Development of a condition-specific measure of oral health-related quality of life for children with malocclusion.
- Moesi B, Dyer F, Benson PE. Roth v MBT: does bracket prescription have an effect on the subjective outcome of pre-adjusted edgewise treatment? European Journal of Orthodontics – Advance Access published November 2, 2011 doi:10.1093/ejo/cjr126.
- Cunningham S, Bearn D, Benson PE, Johal A, Millett D, O’Brien KD, Luther F. Recent experiences of a trial team in orthodontics. Contemporary Clinical Trials 2011 32: 530–534.
- Benson PE. Fluoride-containing materials and the prevention of demineralization during orthodontic treatment – which research method should we now use? Seminars in Orthodontics 2010; 16: 293-301.
- Patel A, Rodd HD, Baker SR, Marshman Z, Robinson PG and Benson PE. Are social judgements made by children in relation to orthodontic appliances? Journal of Orthodontics 2010; 37: 93-9
- Benson P, O'Brien C and Marshman Z. Agreement between mothers and children with malocclusion in rating children's oral health-related quality of life. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 2010; 137: 631-8.
- Marshman Z, Gibson BJ and Benson PE. Is the short-form child perceptions questionnaire meaningful and relevant to children with malocclusion in the UK? Journal of Orthodontics 2010; 37: 29-36
- Benson PE, Ebhohimen A and Douglas I. The cleaning of photographic retractors; a survey, clinical and laboratory study. British Dental Journal 2010; 208: E14.
- Crawford NL, McCarthy C, Murphy TC and Benson PE. Physical properties of conventional and Super Slick elastomeric ligatures after intraoral use. Angle Orthodontist 2010; 80: 175-81.
- Parkin N, Benson PE, Shah A, Thind B, Marshman Z, Glenroy G and Dyer F. Extraction of primary (baby) teeth for unerupted palatally displaced permanent canine teeth in children.Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009; CD004621.
- Parkin N, Benson PE, Thind B and Shah A. Open versus closed surgical exposure of canine teeth that are displaced in the roof of the mouth. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008; CD006966.
- Sandler J, Benson PE, Doyle P, Majumder A, O'Dwyer J, Speight P, Thiruvenkatachari B and Tinsley D. Palatal implants are a good alternative to headgear: a randomized trial. American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics 2008; 133: 51-7.
Current PhD Students
- Abdulsalam Eddaiki
- Nicola Parkin
- Sarah Bell