Registering Your Computer
Before using the wired network (either on campus or in the residences) for the first time, you must register your computer.
Two types of wired network are available:
- Public/Residential Network - This network is available in University owned halls of residence and some Student Computer Rooms. This network can be used by both students and staff. Further information can be found on the right.
- Private/Campus Network - This is the network provided on campus to the majority of staff and research postgraduates. Taught students will only be granted access if their request is sponsored by a member of staff (see the section "Upgrading a Computer's Registration" below).
- Wireless - For information on our wireless networks please see the link to the right.
Connecting Your Computer
- Plug your computer in to the network and switch it on.
- Open a web browser. You should be diverted automatically to the Computer Registration page. If this does not happen, open the location http://csrs.shef.ac.uk
- Click Register Now.
- Complete and submit the form to register your computer.
- Switch off your computer.
- Allow 10 minutes for the registration to become active, after which you should be able to use the network and the Internet.
For information on how to register games consoles please see the links to the right.
Manage Your Registered Computers
From the following page you can check which computers are registered in your name:
Upgrading a Computer's Registration
This page is used by members of staff who wish to upgrade the computer registration for one of their taught students.
To register a computer or network device where the web browser based registration systems i not appropriate please use the link below: