When you register for a Network account, you receive an allocation of space called filestore in which to store your work on your U:drive.
All new accounts are given a standard allocation of 400 Mbytes of filespace.
- Staff can have this allocation increased by contacting the Helpdesk.
- Postgraduates may have their allocation increased at the request of their supervisor who will need to contact the Helpdesk.
- Undergraduates may only have their filestore allocation increased in exceptional circumstances and at the request of their course supervisor or tutor.
Users are allowed to go temporarily above their filestore allocation. However, you must delete files or move them to another storage medium such as a memory stick in order to get back within limits; otherwise your account will be frozen and you will be forced to delete files. Once under your filestore limit your account will automatically be unfrozen.
Please note that on the Managed Desktop service if you exceed your filestore limit, many programs will not be accessible until your account is unfrozen. Once under your filestore limit, you will need to log out and then log back in to restore full access to the service.
- Always check the size of files you download or copy to your U:drive
- Check that you only have documents stored that are currently being used for work or assignments.
- Copies of old documents should be backed up onto a CDROM or DVD and removed from the U: drive.
- Keep backup copies of important files on a secondary storage device.