Telephone: (0114) 22 21113
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- To provide leadership to the Department and ensure that there is a clear vision for the Department, and all staff know and support it.
- To promote the Department both internally and externally
- To raise the profile of the Department to ensure that all of our services are recognised, understood and valued and that new developments are communicated to the University
- To increase the influence of the Department in the strategic planning of the University
- To ensure that the Department is represented on appropriate external bodies in order to influence policy and to improve our knowledge of national and international developments
- To maintain good relationships with external bodies and other HEIs
- To ensure that we respond to external consultations
- To ensure that the Department has a defined set of values, and these are clearly communicated and shared by all and to ensure that the Executive team lives by them and therefore defines the culture of the Department
I came to Sheffield in 1974 to do a degree in Anatomy (quickly changed to Genetics), and completed a PhD in Genetics in 1980. I then worked as a postdoctoral researcher for 3 years before deciding that I wanted slightly more stability than 3 year contracts. An appointment in the Academic Secretary´s Office provided a good grounding for a career in University Administration, and over the next few years I moved through a variety of posts, including Management Information Officer to Undergraduate Student Officer. My first senior appointment was Head of Administration in the Faculty of Medicine where I was responsible for all support to the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry and then Nursing and Midwifery.
In 1996 a major reorganisation of the Central Services created a new Department of Corporate Information, which later merged with Academic Computing Services to become CiCS, to which I was appointed Director.