What are mock interviews?
Mock Interviews provide opportunities for students to meet or talk on the telephone with one of your trained interviewers for a brief practice interview (usually lasting 30 - 45 mins).
They aim to give you:
- the opportunity to have direct contact with, and support, high calibre, well-motivated candidates – some of whom may be thinking about applying to your organisation
- present a positive image of your organisation.
They aim to help students:
- consider the range of questions that they may have to face at interview.
- understand why employers ask the questions they do, and the information they are seeking to elicit
- learn how to frame answers to questions and to think about specific examples
- identify gaps in their preparation and get feedback on ways to improve their interview strategy and technique.
Interviews can take one of two approaches:
- General: based on skills, interests and generic criteria, and not occupation or sector orientated. You would ask questions which are typical of those that are asked at an interview for a graduate position.
- Role-specific: You would ask questions as if you are recruiting for a specific role. In this case, you should supply information about the role so that students can use the information to prepare for the interview when they sign up.
Students pre-book their appointment and are advised to research your organisation, think about the types of questions they might be asked and prepare suitable answers. At the end of each interview you will be expected to provide feedback to students on their performance.
Mock Interviews can be conducted either in person by your representatives or by telephone using the dedicated Employer Room at the Careers Service. They can be arranged mid-October to mid-December during the Autumn Semester, and mid-February to early-May during the Spring Semester (excluding examination periods and vacations).
How are mock interviews publicised?
Your Mock Interviews will be advertised via our online ‘What’s On’ Diary, our ‘What’s On Weekly’ email to students, and publicity sent out to departments you are particularly keen to target. Interested students then sign up for an appointment.
There is no charge for conducting Mock Interviews.
Who to contact
For further information or to book a Mock Interview please contact Mari Brazil, tel: 0114 222 0906, email: firstname.lastname@example.org