Professor Chris Newman MA PhD FRCP
Professor of Clinical Cardiology, Deputy Head of Department
Honorary Consultant Cardiologist and Director of Clinical Research Facility
Department of Cardiovascular Science
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44 (0)114 271 3194
Tel Secretary: +44 (0)114 271 2052
Fax: +44 (0)114 226 8898
I joined the University in 1995 following an MRC Clinician Scientist Fellowship spent at the National Institute for Medical Research and Royal Postgraduate Medical School (1989-1992) and University of Cambridge (1992-1995). I was appointed as Director of the Clinical Research Facility in 2004, a joint initiative between the University and Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. The CRF now has units both at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital (opened in 2006) and Northern General Hospital (opened in 2009). I am currently Vice-Chairman of the University Research Ethics Committee.
My main research interest is in non-viral gene delivery, particularly the use of high frequency ultrasound to promote plasmid-mediated vascular gene delivery. I also have interests in site specific targeting of gene therapy vectors, the vascular biology of pulmonary hypertension, the pathophysiology of sudden death in young diabetics, new approaches to the analysis of gene expression in acute coronary syndromes and links between the pathobiology of osteoporosis and cardiovascular disease.
I organise and deliver teaching within modules of the undergraduate medical student curriculum. I have also led on the development of a new Masters programme in Clinical Research for NIHR Academic Clinical Fellows. I teach on courses related to the ethics and governance of clinical research.
- Chairman, British Society for Cardiovascular Research.
- Treasurer, British Atherosclerosis Society.
- Council member, British Cardiovascular Society.
- Chair, Clinical Research Training Fellowships Panel, Heart Research UK.
- Member, NIHR Research Training Fellowships Panel.
- Member, Arthritis Research UK Clinical Research Training Fellowships Panel.
- Member, CRF Directors Forum.
- Eastell R, Newman CM, Crossman DC. Cardiovascular disease and bone. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 2010 Nov 1;503(1):78-83.
- Sheridan PJ, Marques JL, Newman CM, Heller SR, Clayton RH. Rate-dependent measures of repolarization predict inducibility of ventricular arrhythmias. Europace 2010; 12(4):553-60.
- Newman CM, Crosdale DJ, Fisher KD, Briggs SS, Norman KE, Seymour LW, Hellewell PG. P-selectin dependent targeting to inflamed endothelium of recombinant P-selectin glycoprotein ligand-1 immunoglobulin chimera-coated poly[N-(2-hydroxypropyl) methacrylamide]-DNA polyplexes in vivo visualised by intravital microscopy. J Gene Med 2009 Apr; 11(4):326-34.
- Lawrie A, Waterman EA, Evans DJ, Southwood M, Suntharalingam J, Francis SE, Crossman DC, Croucher PI, Morrell NW, Newman CM. Evidence of a role for osteoprotegerin in the pathogenesis of pulmonary arterial hypertension. The American Journal of Pathology 2008 172(1):256-264.
- Akowuah EF, Gray C, Lawrie A, Sheridan PJ, Su CH, Bettinger T, Brisken AF, Gunn J, Crossman DC, Francis SE, Baker AH, Newman CM. Ultrasound-mediated delivery of TIMP-3 plasmid DNA into saphenous vein leads to increased lumen size in a porcine interposition graft model. Gene Therapy 2005 12(14):1154-7.
- Sheridan PJ, Lawrie A, Crossman DC, Holt CM, Newman CM. VP22-mediated intercellular transport correlates with enhanced biological activity of MybEngrailed but not (HSV-I) thymidine kinase fusion proteins in primary vascular cells following non-viral transfection. J Gene Med 2005 7(3):375-85.
- Lee SP, Yeoh L, Harris ND, Davies CM, Robinson RT, Leathard A, Newman CM, Macdonald IA, Heller SR. Influence of autonomic neuropathy on QTc interval lengthening during hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes 2004; 53(6):1535-42.
- Robinson RT, Harris ND, Ireland RH, Lee S, Newman CM, Heller SR. Mechanisms of abnormal cardiac repolarization during insulin-induced hypoglycemia. Diabetes 2003; 52(6):1469-74.
- Lawrie A, Brisken AF, Francis SE, Cumberland DC, Crossman DC, Newman CM. Microbubble-enhanced ultrasound for vascular gene delivery. Gene Ther 2000 7(23):2023-7.