Professor Michael Makris MA, MB BS, MD, FRCP, FRCPath
Professor of Haemostasis & Thrombosis
Department of Cardiovascular Science
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Tel: +44(0)114 271 2760
Fax: +44(0)114 275 6126
Secretary: Claire Warsop
Secretary Telephone: +44(0)114 226 1408
Secretary Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I joined the University of Sheffield in 1989 as a Lecturer in Haematology. Following completion of my haematology training I was appointed initially Senior Lecturer in 1994 followed by Reader in Haemostasis and Thrombosis in 2002. I became Professor of Haemostasis & Thrombosis in 2013. I hold an Honorary contract with the Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust as a Consultant Haematologist and I am the Director of the Sheffield Haemophilia and Thrombosis Centre.
My research activities are in the area of haemostasis and thrombosis centring around a number of areas:
- The use of global coagulation assays (thrombin generation estimation and thromboelastography) for the diagnosis and management of inherited and acquired haemostatic and thrombotic disorders.
- The role of different coagulation and chromogenic assays in the accurate assessment of FVIII:C.
- The molecular pathogenesis and diagnosis of inherited platelet defects with special emphasis on Glanzmann´s thrombasthenia and MYH-9 related thrombocytopenias.
- The natural history and management of chronic hepatitis C in haemophilia.
- Adverse event reporting in patients with inherited bleeding disorders. I am the project leader of the EUHASS system.
- Chairman, UKHCDO working party on morbidity and mortality.
- Member of the BCSH Thrombosis and Haemostasis Task Force.
- Editor of the journal Haemophilia and associate editor for Thrombosis Research.
- Editorial board member for British Journal of Haematology, Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis, American Journal of Haematology, Blood Transfusion and Acta Haematologica.
- Gatt A, Riddell A, van Veen JJ, Kitchen S, Tuddenham EG, Makris M. Optimising warfarin reversal – an ex vivo study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2009; 7: 1123-1127.
- Van Veen JJ, Gatt A, Bowyer AE, Cooper PC, Kitchen S, Makris M. Calibrated automated thrombin generation and modified thromboelastometry in haemophilia A. Thrombosis Research 2009; 123:895-901.
- Posthouwer D, Makris M, Yee TT, Fischer K, van Veen JJ, Griffioen A, van Erpecum KJ, Mauser-Bunschoten EP. Progression to end-stage liver disease in patients with inherited bleeding disorders and hepatitis C: an international, multicentre cohort study. Blood 2007; 109:3667-3671.
- Vossen CY, Walker ID, Svensson P, Souto JC, Scharrer I, Preston FE, Palareti G, Pabinger I, van der Meer FJ, Makris M, Fontcuberta J, Conard J, Rosendaal FR. Recurrence rate after a first venous thrombosis in patients with familial thrombophilia. Arteriosclerosis Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 2005; 25:1992-1997.
- Vossen CY, Walker ID, Svensson P, Souto JC, Scharrer I, Preston FE, Palareti G, Pabinger I, van der Meer FJM, Makris M, Fontcuberta J, Conard J, Rosendaal FR. Risk of a first venous thrombotic event in carriers of a familial thrombophilic defect in The European Prospective Cohort on Thrombophilia (EPCOT). Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2005; 3:459-464.
- Vossen CY, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, van der Meer, FJ, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Preston FE, Scharrer I, Souto JC, Svensson P, Walker ID, Rosendaal FR. Familial Thrombophilia and lifetime risk of venous thrombosis. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2004; 2:1526-1532.
- Vossen CY, Preston FE, Conard J, Fontcuberta J, Makris M, van der Meer FJM, Pabinger I, Palareti G, Scharrer I, Souto JC, Svensson P, Walker ID, Rosendaal FR. Hereditary thrombophilia and fetal loss: a prospective follow-up study. Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2004; 2:592-596.
- Hind D, Lloyd-Jones M, Makris M, Paisley S. Recombinant factor VIIa concentrate versus plasma derived concentrates for the treatment of acute bleeding on people with Haemophilia A and inhibitors (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, 2004 (CD004449). Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Li TC, Makris M, Tomsu M, Tuckerman E, Laird S. Recurrent miscarriage: aetiology, management and prognosis. Human Reproduction Update 2002; 8:463-481.
- Makris M, Colvin B, Gupta V, Shields ML, Smith MP. Venous thrombosis following the use of intermediate purity FVIII concentrate to treat patients with von Willebrand´s disease. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 2002; 88:387-388.