Professor Anne Goodeve BSc PhD
Professor of Molecular Medicine
Department of Cardiovascular Science
University of Sheffield
Beech Hill Road
Telephone: +44 (0)114 271 2679 / 271 7005
Fax: +44 (0)114 271 1863
Secretary: Mrs Yvonne Steel
Telephone: +44 (0)114 271 2587
I joined the University of Sheffield in 2001, having previously been closely associated with the organisation for several years as an honorary lecturer. My background is in molecular biology and genetics of haematological disorders. Following a PhD and postdoctoral position working on a viral genetics, I began investigation of the molecular pathogenesis of inherited haemostatic disorders in 1990 and now spend my time equally between the University and on diagnostic aspects of this work at Sheffield Diagnostic Genetics Service.
My work is aimed at understanding the pathogenesis of the inherited bleeding disorder, type 1 von Willebrand disease. Current work is focussed on determination of the contribution of genetic variation in the von Willebrand factor (VWF) gene, ABO blood group and other non-VWF loci on low plasma VWF level and symptoms of bleeding.
Zimmerman Program on the Molecular and Clinical Biology of von Willebrand Disease, a National Institute for Health funded Program Project Grant in collaboration with Bob Montgomery, Milwaukee and David Lillicrap, Kingston Ontario.
- International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis Working Group on Genomics in Hemostasis Co-chair.
- EU von Willebrand Disease Co-operative Group Co-chair.
- von Willebrand Disease; From Theory to Clinical Practice annual clinical teaching meeting in Malmo; member of Faculty.
- Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Ranica near Bergamo Italy; Open University external PhD supervisor.
- Member of the United Kingdom National External Quality Assessment Survey (UKNEQAS) Specialist Advisory Group on Haemophilia Genetics.
- Co-opted member of the World Federation for Hemophilia Laboratory Science Committee.
- Member of the editorial board of the Journal Haemophilia.
- Member of the advisory board of the Journal of Thrombosis and Haemostasis.
- Eikenboom J, Federici AB, Dirven RJ, Castaman G, Rodeghiero F, Budde U, Schneppenheim R, Batlle J, Canciani MT, Goudemand J, Peake I, Goodeve A. VWF propeptide and ratios between VWF, VWF propeptide, and FVIII in the characterization of type 1 von Willebrand disease. Blood. 2013;121:2336-9.
- Goodeve A, Peake I. Laboratory analysis of von Willebrand disease: Molecular analysis. In: Quality in Laboratory Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Second edition. Kitchen S, Preston FE, Olson JD (Eds), Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester UK, 2012.
- Cooper PC, Goodeve AC, Beauchamp NJ. Quality in molecular biology testing for inherited thrombophilia disorders. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2012;38:600-12.
- Hampshire DJ, Goodeve AC. The molecular basis of von Willebrand disease: the under investigated, the unexpected and the overlooked. Haematologica. 2011;96:798-800.
- Hampshire DJ, Goodeve AC. The international society on thrombosis and haematosis von Willebrand disease database: an update. Sem Thromb Haemost 2011;37:470-9.
- Keeney S, Collins P, Cumming A, Goodeve A, Pasi J. Diagnosis and management of von Willebrand disease in the United kingdom. Sem Thromb Haemost 2011;37:488-94.
- James PD, Goodeve AC. von Willebrand disease. Genet Med 2011;13:365-76.
- Hickson N, Hampshire D, Castaman G, Eikenboom J, Rodeghiero F, Peake I, Goodeve A, McMdm VWD, Groups Z-VS. Effect of the VWF promoter (GT)n repeat and single-nucleotide polymorphism c.-2527G>A on circulating von Willebrand factor levels under normal conditions. J Thromb Haemost 2011;9:603-5.
- Goodeve AC, Schneppenheim R. Molecular diagnosis of von Willebrand disease: the genotype. In: Federici AB, Berntorp, E., Lee, C., Lillicrap, D., Montgomery, R.R., editor. von Willebrand’s disease: Basic and clinical aspects. 1st edition ed. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester UK 2011.
- Goodeve AC, Reitsma PH, McVey JH, On behalf of the Working Group on Nomenclature of the Scientific and Standardisation Committee of the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis. Nomenclature of genetic variants in hemostasis. J Thromb Haemost 2011;9:852-5.
- Hickson N, Hampshire D, Winship P, Goudemand J, Schneppenheim R, Budde U, Castaman G, Rodeghiero F, Federici AB, James P, Peake I, Eikenboom J, Goodeve A. von Willebrand factor variant p.Arg924Gln marks an allele associated with reduced von Willebrand factor and factor VIII levels. J Thromb Haemost 2010;8:1986–93.
- Hampshire DJ, Burghel GJ, Goudemand J, Bouvet LC, Eikenboom JC, Schneppenheim R, Budde U, Peake IR, Goodeve AC. Polymorphic variation within the VWF gene contributes to the failure to detect mutations in patients historically diagnosed with type 1 von Willebrand disease from the MCMDM-1VWD cohort. Haematologica 2010;95:2163-5.
- Goodeve AC. The genetic basis of von Willebrand disease. Blood Rev 2010;24:123-34.
- Goodeve A. von Willebrand disease: molecular aspects. In: Lee C, Berntorp E, Hoots K, editors. Textbook of Haemophilia: 2nd Edition 2010.
- Castaman G, Tosetto A, Goodeve A, Federici AB, Lethagen S, Budde U, Batlle J, Meyer D, Mazurier C, Goudemand J, Eikenboom J, Schneppenheim R, Ingerslev J, Habart D, Hill F, Peake I, Rodeghiero F. The impact of bleeding history, von Willebrand factor and PFA-100((R)) on the diagnosis of type 1 von Willebrand disease: results from the European study MCMDM-1VWD. Br J Haematol 2010;151:245-51.