- 2016-present: Professor of Developmental Biology
- 2013-2015: Reader in Developmental Biology
- 2004-2012: Senior Lecturer, University of Sheffield.
- 1997-2004: Lecturer, University of Sheffield.
- 1994-1997: Imperial Cancer Research Fund Postdoctoral Fellow and Linacre College Junior Research Fellow, Developmental Biology Unit, University of Oxford, and Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London. Research Advisor: Dr Julian Lewis.
- 1994: EMBO Short Term Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Tübingen. Research Advisor: Professor Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard.
- 1992-1994: Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Zoology and Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research Campaign Institute, University of Cambridge. Research Advisor: Professor Chris Wylie.
- 1989-1992: Wellcome PhD student, Department of Zoology and Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research Campaign Institute, University of Cambridge. Research Advisor: Professor Chris Wylie.
- 1986-1989: BA Natural Sciences (Zoology), University of Cambridge.
Activities and distinctions
- Invited speaker at national and international meetings (recent meetings include: Workshop 'Linking Evolution and Development of the Auditory System', Institute for Advanced Study, Delmenhorst, Germany; Gordon Conference 'Neural Crest and Cranial Placodes', Waltham, MA, USA; Association for Research in Otolaryngology 38th MidWinter meeting (Plenary speaker), Baltimore, MD, USA).
- Board of Reviewing Editors, eLife
- Member, BBSRC Core Committee C
- Alsina B & Whitfield TT (2016)
Sculpting the labyrinth: Morphogenesis of the developing inner ear.
Semin Cell Dev Biol. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Baxendale S & Whitfield TT (2016)
Methods to study the development, anatomy, and function of the zebrafish inner ear across the life course.
Methods in Cell Biology, 133. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Whitfield TT (2015)
Development of the inner ear.
Current Opinion in Genetics & Development, 32, 112-118. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Stooke-Vaughan GA, Obholzer ND, Baxendale S, Megason SG & Whitfield TT (2015)
Otolith tethering in the zebrafish otic vesicle requires Otogelin and -Tectorin.
Development, 142(6), 1137-1145. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Maier EC & Whitfield TT (2014)
RA and FGF Signalling Are Required in the Zebrafish Otic Vesicle to Pattern and Maintain Ventral Otic Identities.
PLoS Genetics, 10(12), e1004858-e1004858. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Whitfield TT & Monk N (2014)
Julian Hart Lewis, FRS (1946-2014) Obituary.
DEVELOPMENTAL CELL, 29(5), 507-509.
- Maier EC, Saxena A, Alsina B, Bronner ME & Whitfield TT (2014)
Sensational placodes: neurogenesis in the otic and olfactory systems.
Dev Biol, 389(1), 50-67. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Geng FS, Abbas L, Baxendale S, Holdsworth CJ, Swanson AG, Slanchev K, Hammerschmidt M, Topczewski J & Whitfield TT (2013)
Semicircular canal morphogenesis in the zebrafish inner ear requires the function of gpr126 (lauscher), an adhesion class G protein-coupled receptor gene.
Development, 140(21), 4362-4374. View this article in White Rose Research Online
Full publications list. Publications in Google Scholar.
My group uses the zebrafish as a model organism to study the development and function of the inner ear.
We are interested in the early patterning and evolution of otic structures, modelling of auditory and vestibular disease, ototoxicity and fluid regulation in the ear.
Whitfield Lab Website
Our research group is part of the Bateson Centre
You can follow events from the Whitfield lab on our blog or on Twitter: