Professor Tanya Whitfield
Professor of Developmental Biology
Bateson Centre and Department of Biomedical Science
University of Sheffield
Room: C21 Firth Court
Telephone: +44 (0) 114 222 2350
Fax: +44 114 222 2788
- 2016-present: Professor of Developmental Biology
- 2013-2015: Reader in Developmental Biology
- 2004-2012: Senior Lecturer, University of Sheffield.
- 1997-2004: Lecturer, University of Sheffield.
- 1994-1997: Imperial Cancer Research Fund Postdoctoral Fellow and Linacre College Junior Research Fellow, Developmental Biology Unit, University of Oxford, and Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London. Research Advisor: Dr Julian Lewis.
- 1994: EMBO Short Term Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Developmental Biology, Tübingen. Research Advisor: Professor Christiane Nüsslein-Volhard.
- 1992-1994: Wellcome Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Zoology and Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research Campaign Institute, University of Cambridge. Research Advisor: Professor Chris Wylie.
- 1989-1992: Wellcome PhD student, Department of Zoology and Wellcome Trust/Cancer Research Campaign Institute, University of Cambridge. Research Advisor: Professor Chris Wylie.
- 1986-1989: BA Natural Sciences (Zoology), University of Cambridge.
My group uses the zebrafish as a model organism to study the development and function of the inner ear. We are interested in the early patterning and evolution of otic structures, modelling of auditory and vestibular disease, ototoxicity and fluid regulation in the ear. Read more about research in the Whitfield lab.
- Our research group is part of the Bateson Centre.
You can now follow events from the Whitfield lab on Twitter:
Activities and distinctions
- Invited speaker at national and international meetings (recent meetings include: Association for Research in Otolaryngology 38th MidWinter meeting (Plenary speaker), Baltimore, MD, USA; 6th Strategic Conference of Zebrafish Investigators, Asilomar, CA, USA; Peking University, Bejing, China).
- Board of Reviewing Editors, eLife (http://elifesciences.org/)
- Honorary Secretary, UK Genetics Society
- Regular reviewer for scientific journals and grant awarding bodies
- Whitfield TT (2015) Development of the inner ear. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development, 32, 112-118. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Stooke-Vaughan GA, Obholzer ND, Baxendale S, Megason SG & Whitfield TT (2015) Otolith tethering in the zebrafish otic vesicle requires Otogelin and α-Tectorin.. Development, 142(6), 1137-1145.
- Maier EC, Saxena A, Alsina B, Bronner ME & Whitfield TT (2014) Sensational placodes: neurogenesis in the otic and olfactory systems.. Dev Biol, 389(1), 50-67. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Whitfield TT & Monk N (2014) Julian Hart Lewis, FRS (1946-2014) Obituary. DEVELOPMENTAL CELL, 29(5), 507-509.
- Maier EC & Whitfield TT (2014) RA and FGF Signalling Are Required in the Zebrafish Otic Vesicle to Pattern and Maintain Ventral Otic Identities. PLoS Genetics, 10(12), e1004858.