The Alumni Foundation Committee invites applications from all those that comply with the following criteria:
- Applications must be from current University students and staff.
- Ideas must benefit more than one person. The enthusiasms of individuals are not supported.
- Applications can be made by individuals, groups, clubs or societies or on behalf of projects.
- Applications must be linked to the University and directly benefit students. We cannot accept applications from external charities.
How to Apply
To make an application, please complete the online application form here.
Before submitting your application it is recommended that you read the application guidelines below thoroughly. You will be able to edit your responses anytime up until midnight on the date of the deadline by following the instructions given to you once you have submitted the form.
It is advised that you use a spell checker before submitting the application.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
If you need any advice before making an application, please contact the Alumni Relations team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Committee follows some general guidelines when considering applications, please read through the following before starting your application.
Due to an increasingly high demand for Alumni Foundation grants, the committee has put in place the following guidelines. You may also find it useful to read the ‘Case Studies’ section of the website for examples of successful recipients.
The Committee looks favourably on:
- Applications that will benefit students in the long term, such as funding for equipment.
- Applications that have a wide ranging impact on students and where possible other aspects of the University or wider community.
- Applicants who have demonstrated an ability to secure partial funding from other sources including active fundraising efforts.
- Projects that need start-up grants.
- Applications that aim to make activities more diverse, inclusive and/or accessible for students.
The committee cannot accept:
- Projects that require long-term funding.
- Extravagant or poorly budgeted requests.
- Applications lacking detailed information.
- Applications for general running costs (e.g. pitch hire, venue hire or referee costs)
- Requests from departments that are not for student-led projects.
- Applications for funding for recurrent projects, unless they are particularly high profile.
- Applications from those funded in the last round of grants, unless a compelling case is made.
- Requests where the money would end up going back into the University (e.g. paying for staffing costs or University venue hire).
- Requests for speakers or other external fees, such as travel and expenses.
- Applications for funding for socials, travel, accommodation or food costs.
- Applicants going on electives or Raleigh International projects.
- Applications for attendance at conferences.
- Applications for research funding.
- Projects that it believes are the responsibility of the University centrally.
- Applications for funding for events or projects that have already happened, or that are due to occur within six weeks of the deadline.
- Requests from external charities.
Applications that do not meet the above criteria may not be shortlisted for review by the panel.
Conditions of the Grant:
- Following the receipt of the grant, successful applicants will be required to produce a report detailing how the money was spent, as well as high quality photographs. A template for the report can be downloaded from the right hand margin.
- Successful applicants are also required to acknowledge the grant on all promotional material (flyers, leaflets and posters), kit (where possible), on social media and on your webpage.
- Grants not collected within six months of an award being made will be deemed to have expired (excluding exceptional cases).
- If the Committee's conditions when awarding a grant are not fulfilled in a timely fashion, the Committee reserves the right to request a proportion of the grant back. If none of the conditions are met, the recipient may have to return the whole grant.
If you have any questions about an application please take a look at the Frequently Asked Questions document, downloadable from the right hand margin.