Professor Visakan Kadirkamanathan
Head of Department
Director of Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Control and Systems Engineering
Professor Visakan Kadirkamanathan BA, PhD
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5134
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5683
Email: visakan @ sheffield.ac.uk
Room: B10, Amy Johnson Building
I was born in Jaffna, Srilanka, educated at St. Johns College, Jaffna and spent a brief period at the University of Peradeniya before moving to the UK. I graduated with a Class I Degree in Electrical and Information Sciences from the Engineering Department at Cambridge University, followed by a Ph.D. in Information Engineering from the same institution. I was awarded the Lord Mountbatten Memorial Scholarship from Christ´s College, Cambridge.
I was appointed Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering at Sheffield in 1993 following brief post-doctoral research positions at Cambridge and Surrey Universities. During the last few years, I was promoted to Senior Lecturer, then Reader and in 2007 to the position of Professor of Signal and Information Processing. I became the Head of Department in 2009.
My research interests belong to the broad category of signal and information processing. Some of the research activity falls within the Signal Processing and Complex Systems Research Team and some within the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre. They include both theoretical and applications research, and also external collaborations with other Sheffield Departments and Industries.
The main research themes are:
- Modelling and Identification of Complex Systems
- Modelling and Estimation for Systems Biology and Biomedical Engineering
- Fault Detection, Diagnosis and Application to Aircraft Engines
- Intelligent Systems Decision Support and Application to Drug Discovery
- Autonomous Systems, Swarm Intelligence and Intelligent Control
- NERC Grant: A century of variability in Greenland melting and iceberg calving with Investigators G.Bigg, E.Hanna, V.Kadirkamanathan and S.A.Billings, 2011-14, £311,959
- EPSRC Platform Grant: System identification and information processing for complex systems with Investigators S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.A.Billings, D.Coca, Z.Q.Lang and H.L.Wei, 2010-15, £1,205,632
- Royal Society Collaboration Grant: Investigation of the control mechanism on co-culture bioethanol producing system with Investigators V.Kadirkamanathan, and H.L.Wei, 2010-12, £11,950
- Unilever Research Grant: Nonlinear and nonstationary signal processing, with Investigators V.Kadirkamanathan, 2007-08, £101,000
- EPSRC/GSK Joint Grant: Array design for lead optimization in pharmaceutical research with Investigators V.Gillet, P.Willett and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2006-10, £235,682
- EPSRC Platform Grant: System identification and signal processing for complex systems with Investigators S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.A.Billings, D.Coca and Z.Q.Lang, 2005-10, £422,571
- DTI Grant: Business resource optimisation for aftermarket and design on engineering networks (BROADEN), with Investigators, P.J.Fleming, V.Kadirkamanathan and H.A.Thompson, 2005-07, £201,576
- EPSRC E-Science Pilot Project Grant: Distributed aircraft maintenance environment (DAME), with investigators, P.J.Fleming, V.Kadirkamanathan and H.A.Thompson, 2002-05, £480,622
- Co-Editor, International Journal of Systems Science (2003-now)
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks (2000-2003)
- Chair, 4th IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics (PRIB), Sheffield, 2009
- Co-Chair, IEEE UK&RI Control Systems Chapter Colloquium on 'Control in Systems Biology', Sheffield, 2007
- Invited Plenary, IEEE International Workshop on Intelligent Signal Processing (WISP), Faro, 2005
- Invited Tutorial on 'Sequential Monte Carlo Filtering', International Conference on Neural and Information Processing (ICONIP), Singapore, 2002
- Invited Tutorial on 'Intelligent Control', UKACC International Control Conference, Sheffield, 2002
- Member of the IAPR Technical Committee in Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, 2007 – now.
- V.Kadirkamanathan, G.Sanguinetti, M.Girolami, M.Niranjan and J.Noirel (eds.), Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, Proceedings of the 4th IAPR International Conference (PRIB 2009), Sheffield, LNBI 5780, Springer, September 2009.
- P.D.Tonge, V.Olariu, D.Coca, V.Kadirkamanathan, K.E.Burrell, S.A.Billings and P.W.Andrews, ‘Prepatterning in the stem cell compartment’, PLOS One, 5(5):e10901, 2010.
- M.Dewar, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.Opper and G.Sanguinetti, ‘Parameter estimation and inference for stochastic reaction-diffusion systems: Application to morphogenesis in D.melanogaster’, BMC Systems Biology, 4(21), 2010.
- V.Olariu, N,J.Harrison, D.Coca, P.J.Gokhale, D.Baker, S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan and P.W.Andrews, ‘Modelling the evolution of culture adapted human embryonic stem cells’, Stem Cell Research, 4(1):50-56, 2010.
- V.Olariu, D.Coca, S.A.Billings, P.Tonge, P.Gokhale, P.Andrews and V.Kadirkamanathan,’Modified variational Bayes EM estimation of hidden Markov tree model of cell lineages’, Bioinformatics, 25(21):2824-2830, 2009.
- G.Papadatos, A.W.J.Cooper, V.Kadirkamanathan, S.J.F.Macdonald, I.M.McLay, S.D.Pickett, J.M.Pritchard, P.Willet and V.J.Gillet, ‘Analysis of neighbourhood behaviour in lead optimisation and array design’, Journal of Chemical Information and Modeling, 49(2):195-208, 2009.
- K.Scerri, M.Dewar and V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘Estimation and selection of an IDE based spatio-temporal model’, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 57(2):482-492, February 2009.
- M.Dewar, K.Scerri and V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘Data driven spatio-temporal modelling using the integro-difference equation’, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 57(1): 83-91, January 2009.
- A.Shenfield, G.M.Allan, V.Kadirkamanathan and P.J.Fleming, ‘Optimisation and maintenance scheduling strategies on the grid’, Annals of Operational Research, December 2008.
- V.Kadirkamanathan and S.R.Anderson, ‘Maximum likelihood estimation of delta domain model parameters from noisy output signals’, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 56(8-I):3765-3770, August 2008.
- S.R.Anderson, P.Dean, V.Kadirkamanathan. C.Kaneko and J.Porrill, ‘System identification from multiple short time scale records’, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, 54(12):2205-2213, December 2007.
- S.R.Anderson and V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘Nonlinear identification of fast sampled deterministic system in the delta domain’, Automatica, 43(11):1859-1868, November 2007.
- M.Dewar and V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘A canonical space time state space model: state and parameter estimation’, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 55(10): 4862-4870, October 2007.
- J.Yang, S.Wongsa, V.Kadirkamanathan, S.A.Billings & P.C.Wright, ‘Metabolic flux estimation: A self-adaptive evolutionary algorithm with singular value decomposition’, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 4(1):126-138, January-March, 2007.
- S.Shahnoor & V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘Parametric polyspectrum density estimation using the bootstrap method’, Signal Processing, 87(1): 177-188, January 2007.
- V.Kadirkamanathan, J.Yang, S.A.Billings & P.C.Wright, ‘Markov chain Monte Carlo algorithm based metabolic flux distribution analysis on Cornybacterium glutamicum’, Bioinformatics, 22(21):2681-2687, August 2006.
- V.Kadirkamanathan, K.Selvarajah & P.J.Fleming, ‘Stability analysis of the particle dynamics in particle swarm optimizer’, IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, 10(3):245-255, June 2006.
- H. Kulatunga & V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘Adaptive joint detection and estimation in fading MIMO channels – A hybrid systems approach’, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 54(5):1629-1644, May 2006.
- H. Kulatunga & V.Kadirkamanathan, ‘Multiple H-infinity filter based deterministic sequence estimation in non-Gaussian channels’, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, 13(4):185-188, April 2006.
- M.Ong, X.Ren, G.Allan, V.Kadirkamanathan, H.A.Thompson and P.J.Fleming, ‘Decision support systems on the grid’, International Journal of Knowledge-based and Intelligent Engineering Systems, 9(4):315-326, 2005.