Professor Visakan Kadirkamanathan
Director of Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre
in Control and Systems Engineering
Professor Visakan Kadirkamanathan BA, PhD
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5680
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5661
Room: C6, Amy Johnson Building
I was born in Jaffna, Sri Lanka and had my early education in Sri Lanka. Having spent my entire school career at St. Johns College, Jaffna, I attended the University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka briefly before moving to the UK. As a Christ’s College Scholar, I graduated with a Class I Degree in Electrical and Information Sciences from the Engineering Department at Cambridge University, followed by a Ph.D. in Information Engineering from the same institution. For the latter, I was awarded the Lord Mountbatten Memorial Scholarship from Christ´s College.
My first academic appointment was as Lecturer in the Department of Automatic Control & Systems Engineering at Sheffield in January 1993 following brief post-doctoral research positions at Cambridge and Surrey Universities. During the last few years, I was promoted to Senior Lecturer, then Reader and in 2007 to the position of Professor of Signal and Information Processing.
From April 2009 to August 2014, I have had the privilege of being the Head of Department during which time this unique Department has seen a significant expansion. In July 2012 I assumed the role of Director of the Rolls-Royce supported University Technology Centre in Control and Systems Engineering.
I have taught a number of modules in the undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes over the years. These subjects include state space control design, systems reliability and fault diagnosis, nonlinear systems and the group design project.
My current teaching is:
- ACS318: System Identification
- ACS6103: Signal Processing and Estimation
My research interests belong to the broad category of signal and information processing. My research activities are partly in the Intelligent Systems, Decision and Control related research carried out within the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre and partly in the Centre for Signal Processing and Complex Systems. They include both theoretical and applications research, and also external collaborations with other Sheffield Departments and Industries.
The main research themes are:
- Modelling and Identification of natural and engineered complex systems
- Spatiotemporal system identification with applications in life, physical and social sciences
- Fault detection, diagnosis and prognosis with application to aircraft engines
- Intelligent systems decision support and applications in aerospace and biomedicine
- Autonomous and self-organised swarms and agent systems
- EPSRC Frontier Engineering: Modelling complex and partially identified engineering problems-Application to the individualised multi-scale simulation of the musculoskeletal system. Investigators - M J Hounslow, D Lacroix, M Viceconti, S A Billings, V Kadirkamanathan, A Pavic, E McCloskey and T Skerry, 2013-2018, £4.75M.
- BBSRC: Novel zebrafish approaches to investigate leaderless protein secretion in vivo. Investigators – H.Wilson, S.Renshaw and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2013-2016, £339,562.
- TSB: SILOET II – Holistic optimising systems. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, G.Jewell and G.Priestman, 2013-2015, £359,000.
- Rolls-Royce: UTC in Control and Systems Engineering, Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, T.J.Dodd and A.R.Mills, 2013, £304,000.
- Dorothy Hodgkin Postgraduate Award (DHPA): Systems health monitoring using transient signals. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan and P.J.Fleming, 2012-2015, £90,000.
- Vestas Research Grant: Control and monitoring of wind turbines. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, B.L.Jones, J.A.Rossiter, Z.Q.Lang and S.A.Pope, 2011-2013, £120,000.
- UK-India Partnership - UKIERI: Integrated sensing monitoring and healing for complex autonomous systems. Investigators – V.Kadirkamanathan, S.A.Pope and P.J.Fleming, 2012-2014, £20,400.
- NERC: A century of variability in Greenland melting and iceberg calving. Investigators – G.Bigg, E.Hanna, V.Kadirkamanathan and S.A.Billings, 2011-14, £311,959.
- Unilver Research Grant: Nonlinear signal processing for time series classification. Investigators – R.Gross and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2011-2012, £62,414.
- BAE Systems Research Grant: Decision support tool in FLAME GPU. Investigators – J.Derrick, V.Kadirkamanathan and P.Richmond, 2011, £51,895.
- EPSRC Platform Grant: System identification and information processing for complex systems with Investigators S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.A.Billings, D.Coca, Z.Q.Lang and H.L.Wei, 2010-15, £1,205,632.
- EU FP7: Search for Electro-Magnetic Earthquake Precursors combining satellite and ground-based facilities (SEMEP). Investigators – M.A.Balikhin and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2010-2012, €452,514.
- Royal Society International Collaboration Grant: Investigation of the control mechanism on co-culture bioethanol producing system with Investigators V.Kadirkamanathan, and H.L.Wei, 2010-12, £11,950.
- EPSRC/GSK Joint Grant: Array design for lead optimization in pharmaceutical research. Investigators – V.Gillet, P.Willett and V.Kadirkamanathan, 2006-10, £235,682.
- EPSRC Platform Grant: System identification and signal processing for complex systems. Investigators – S.A.Billings, V.Kadirkamanathan, M.A.Billings, D.Coca and Z.Q.Lang, 2005-10, £422,571.
Professional activities and recognition
- Co-Editor, International Journal of Systems Science (2003-now).
- Chair, 4th IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics (PRIB), Sheffield, 2009.
- Co-Organiser, Pascal 2 Workshop on Spatiotemporal modelling, Edinburgh, 2009.
- Invited Plenary, IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Control and Information Processing (ICICIP), Harbin, China, 2011.
- Panel Member of Session on “What are Industry needs from Control Education”, IFAC International Symposium on Advances in Control Education (ACE), Sheffield, 2013.
- Member of the IAPR Technical Committee in Pattern Recognition in Bioinformatics, 2007 – now.
- Aram P, Kadirkamanathan V & Wilkinson JM (2013) Use of kernel-based Bayesian models to predict late osteolysis after hip replacement.. J R Soc Interface, 10(88), 20130678. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Baldacchino T, Anderson SR & Kadirkamanathan V (2013) Computational system identification for Bayesian NARMAX modelling. Automatica, 49(9), 2641-2651.
- Aram P, Freestone DR, Dewar M, Scerri K, Jirsa V, Grayden DB & Kadirkamanathan V (2013) Spatiotemporal multi-resolution approximation of the Amari type neural field model.. Neuroimage, 66, 88-102. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Krishnanathan K, Anderson SR, Billings SA & Kadirkamanathan V (2012) A Data-Driven Framework for Identifying Nonlinear Dynamic Models of Genetic Parts. ACS SYNTHETIC BIOLOGY, 1(8), 375-384.
- Holmes GR, Dixon G, Anderson SR, Reyes-Aldasoro CC, Elks PM, Billings SA, Whyte MK, Kadirkamanathan V & Renshaw SA (2012) Drift-Diffusion Analysis of Neutrophil Migration during Inflammation Resolution in a Zebrafish Model.. Adv Hematol, 2012, 792163. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Zammit-Mangion A, Dewar M, Kadirkamanathan V & Sanguinetti G (2012) Point process modelling of the Afghan War Diary.. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109(31), 12414-12419.
- Holmes GR, Anderson SR, Dixon G, Robertson AL, Reyes-Aldasoro CC, Billings SA, Renshaw SA & Kadirkamanathan V (2012) Repelled from the wound, or randomly dispersed? Reverse migration behaviour of neutrophils characterized by dynamic modelling.. J R Soc Interface, 9(77), 3229-3239. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Baldacchino T, Anderson SR & Kadirkamanathan V (2012) Structure detection and parameter estimation for NARX models in a unified EM framework. Automatica, 48(5), 857-865.
- Kadirkamanathan V, Anderson SR, Billings SA, Zhang X, Holmes GR, Reyes-Aldasoro CC, Elks PM & Renshaw SA (2012) The neutrophil's eye-view: Inference and visualisation of the chemoattractant field driving cell chemotaxis in vivo. PLoS ONE, 7(4). View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Zammit-Mangion A, Sanguinetti G & Kadirkamanathan V (2012) Variational estimation in spatiotemporal systems from continuous and point-process observations. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 60(7), 3449-3459.
- Freestone DR, Aram P, Dewar M, Scerri K, Grayden DB & Kadirkamanathan V (2011) A data-driven framework for neural field modeling. NeuroImage, 56(3), 1043-1058.
- Hachino T & Kadirkamanathan V (2011) Multiple Gaussian Process Models for Direct Time Series Forecasting. IEEJ T ELECTR ELECTR, 6(3), 245-252.
- Mangion AZ, Yuan K, Kadirkamanathan V, Niranjan M & Sanguinetti G (2011) Online variational inference for state-space models with point-process observations.. Neural Comput, 23(8), 1967-1999.
- Apichayakul P & Kadirkamanathan V (2011) Spatio-temporal dynamic modelling of smart structures using a robust expectation-maximization algorithm. Smart Materials and Structures, 20(4).
- Chadwick MA, Anderson SR & Kadirkamanathan V (2010) An iterative Kalman smoother/least-squares algorithm for the identification of delta-ARX models. INT J SYST SCI, 41(7), 839-851.
- Papadatos G, Alkarouri M, Gillet VJ, Willett P, Kadirkamanathan V, Luscombe CN, Bravi G, Richmond NJ, Pickett SD, Hussain J, Pritchard JM, Cooper AW & Macdonald SJ (2010) Lead optimization using matched molecular pairs: inclusion of contextual information for enhanced prediction of HERG inhibition, solubility, and lipophilicity.. J Chem Inf Model, 50(10), 1872-1886. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Olariu V, Harrison NJ, Coca D, Gokhale PJ, Baker D, Billings S, Kadirkamanathan V & Andrews PW (2010) Modeling the evolution of culture-adapted human embryonic stem cells.. Stem Cell Res, 4(1), 50-56.
- Shenfield A, Fleming PJ, Kadirkamanathan V & Allan J (2010) Optimisation of maintenance scheduling strategies on the grid. ANN OPER RES, 180(1), 213-231.
- Dewar MA, Kadirkamanathan V, Opper M & Sanguinetti G (2010) Parameter estimation and inference for stochastic reaction-diffusion systems: application to morphogenesis in D. melanogaster.. BMC Syst Biol, 4, 21. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Tonge PD, Olariu V, Coca D, Kadirkamanathan V, Burrell KE, Billings SA & Andrews PW (2010) Prepatterning in the stem cell compartment.. PLoS One, 5(5), e10901. View this article in White Rose Research Online
- Dewar M, Scerri K & Kadirkamanathan V (2009) Data-Driven Spatio-Temporal Modeling Using the Integro-Difference Equation. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 57(1), 83-91.
- Scerri K, Dewar M & Kadirkamanathan V (2009) Estimation and Model Selection for an IDE-Based Spatio-Temporal Model. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 57(2), 482-492.
- Olariu V, Coca D, Billings SA, Tonge P, Gokhale P, Andrews PW & Kadirkamanathan V (2009) Modified variational Bayes EM estimation of hidden Markov tree model of cell lineages.. Bioinformatics, 25(21), 2824-2830.
- Kadirkamanathan V, Halauca C & Anderson SR (2009) Predictive control of fast-sampled systems using the delta-operator. INT J SYST SCI, 40(7), 745-756.
- Papadatos G, Cooper AW, Kadirkamanathan V, Macdonald SJ, McLay IM, Pickett SD, Pritchard JM, Willett P & Gillet VJ (2008) Analysis of Neighborhood Behavior in Lead Optimization and Array Design.. J Chem Inf Model.
- Kadirkamanathan V & Anderson SR (2008) Maximum-likelihood estimation of delta-domain model parameters from noisy output signals. IEEE T SIGNAL PROCES, 56(8), 3765-3770. View this article in White Rose Research Online