Professor M A Balikhin,
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
University of Sheffield
Sheffield S1 3JD
Tel: (+44) (0)114 222 5628
Fax: (+44) (0)114 222 5683
Email: m.balikhin @ sheffield.ac.uk
Room: D6, Amy Johnson Building
Professor Michael Balikhin joined the Space Systems Group in the Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering in 1995.
Following his graduation from Moscow Institute of Physical Engineering State University, M. Balikhin worked at the Institute of Space Research (Russia), and at the Laboratoire de Physique et Chimie de l'Environnement – Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France).
Space exploration is the main field of his research. He was involved in the development of hardware and the data analysis for many space missions. The most significant of these space projects being Vega-1,2 (to investigate comet Halley and the planet Venus), Phobos-1,2 (to explore the Martian satellite Phobos), INTERSHOCK (to investigate small scale processes within the terrestrial bow shock), Cluster (European Space Agency cornerstone mission to perform the most detailed investigation yet of Solar-terrestrial relations).
He is the author/coauthor of over 100 scientific papers.
Space Plasma, Turbulence in high beta (hot) plasma, Collisionless Shocks, Avalanching Systems, Space Weather, Solar-Terrestrial Relations, Spacecraft Instrumentation, Nonlinear Systems, Identification of linear and non-linear processes in data, Methods of data analysis for multi-spacecraft missions.
Presently Active Space Missions:
PI for the Research Grants:
EU 7th FWP (Seventh Framework Programme), M Balikhin, "Search for Electro-Magnetic Earthquake Precursors combining satellite and ground-based facilities (SEMEP)", (01/12/2010-30/11/2012), €452,514
STFC, M Balikhin, "Kinetic Theory of waves in space and astrophysical plasmas", 01/07/2009 - 30/06/2012, £293,792
STFC, M Balikhin, "Venus Express Post Launch Support", 01/05/2009 - 31/07/2011, £26,792
STFC, M Balikhin, "Venus Express science exploitation", 01/11/2008 - 31/10/2011, £254,097
PPARC M Balikhin, "A Theoretical Kinetic Study of Low Frequency Values in High β Non-uniform Anistropic Space Plasmas", (2003-06) £146,503
PPARC M Balikhin, H St CK Alleyne, "Dynamical Processes and Wave Turbulence at the Boundaries of the Magnetosphere", (2004-08) £164,825
PPARC M Balikhin, "Theory of Nonlinear Waves in Hot Space Plasmas", (2006-09) £173,640
Royal Society, Host PI for The Royal Society Postdoctoral Fellowship 2002-2003, about £12,000
2004 2 NASA team awards in recognition of contribution to the success of Cluster Project.
2005 The European Space agency Award in recognition of contribution to Cluster´s Exploration of Geospace.
2006 The European Space agency Award in recognition of contribution to Venus Express Mission.
Recent Invited Presentations at Major International Conferences
|1||Invited presentation at World Space Environment Forum 2005, Austria.||5/2005|
|2||Invited talk at American Geophysical Union Spring Meeting, USA.||5/2005|
|3||Invited presentation at 4th Annual IGPP International Astrophysics Conference, USA.||02/2005|
|4||Invited presentation at 2005 Fall meeting American Geophysical Union, USA.||08/2004|
|5||Invited presentation at European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2006, Austria.||04/2006|
|6||Invited presentation at 2006 Fall meeting American Geophysical Union||12/2006|
Selected Recent Publications
- Balikhin M.A., et al., Walker Ion sound wave packets at the quasiperpendicular shock front Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, 24, L24106, dx.doi.org/10.1029/2005GL024660, 2005.
- Gedalin M., Balikhin M., Coca D., Consolini G., and Treumann R. A., Kinetic Description of Avalanching Systems, Phys. Rev. E, 72, 037103, 2005.
- Pokhotelov O.A., Balikhin M.A., Sagdeev R.Z., Treumann R.A.,Halo and mirror instabilities in the presence of finite Larmor radius effects, J. Geophys. Res., 110, A10, A10206, 2005.
- Balikhin M. A., O.A. Pokhotelov, S.N. Walker, E. Amata, M. Andre, M. Dunlop, and H.S.C.K. Alleyne, Minimum variance free wave identification: Application to Cluster electric field data in the magnetosheath, Geophys. Res. Lett., 30(10),1508,dpi:10.1029/2003GL016918, 2003.
- Balikhin M. A., O. M. Boaghe, S.A. Billings, H. Alleyne, Terrestrial magnetosphere as a nonlinear resonator, Geophys. Res. Lett., 26, 1123, 2001.
- O.M. Boaghe, M.A. Balikhin, S.A. Billings, H. Alleyne, Identification of Nonlinear Processes in the Magnetospheric Dynamics and Forecasting of Dst Index, J. Geophys. Res., 106, 12, 30047, 2001.